Feb 6, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
First, the NHL-related news: Vancouver is shutting down captain Henrik Sedin for the next two games with a lingering upper-body injury, one that’s already sidelined him for six games and limited his ability over the last two.
“We are shutting Henrik down for next 2 games. He wants to play, but he’s not as effective as we need him to be right now.” – Torts
— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) February 6, 2014
Now, the Olympic-related news: Vancouver head coach John Tortorella doesn’t want Sedin to play for Sweden in Sochi.
John Tortorella on whether Henrik Sedin should go to the Olympics: “Do I want him to go, no. But that’s a family matter.”
— Louis Jean (@LouisJean_TVA) February 6, 2014
It’s going to be a dicey situation in Canuck land over the next few days. Sedin won’t play tonight against Montreal or Saturday in Toronto, and is scheduled to head over to Sochi shortly thereafter to join the Swedish team.
To say Sedin has been ineffective lately would be putting it mildly. He’s gone pointless in back-to-back losses to Detroit and Boston — Vancouver only managed to score once in the two games — and hasn’t been able to take faceoffs, attempting just four against the Wings and one against the Bruins.
Sedin has been named an alternate captain for the Swedish team in Sochi and has a long history of competing internationally. He was part of the gold medal-winning side at the 2006 games in Turin, played again at the ’10 games in Vancouver and won gold at the 2013 World Hockey Championships.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 8
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets’ next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 40
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)