Feb 6, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
First, the NHL-related news: Vancouver is shutting down captain Henrik Sedin for the next two games with a lingering upper-body injury, one that’s already sidelined him for six games and limited his ability over the last two.
“We are shutting Henrik down for next 2 games. He wants to play, but he’s not as effective as we need him to be right now.” – Torts
— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) February 6, 2014
Now, the Olympic-related news: Vancouver head coach John Tortorella doesn’t want Sedin to play for Sweden in Sochi.
John Tortorella on whether Henrik Sedin should go to the Olympics: “Do I want him to go, no. But that’s a family matter.”
— Louis Jean (@LouisJean_TVA) February 6, 2014
It’s going to be a dicey situation in Canuck land over the next few days. Sedin won’t play tonight against Montreal or Saturday in Toronto, and is scheduled to head over to Sochi shortly thereafter to join the Swedish team.
To say Sedin has been ineffective lately would be putting it mildly. He’s gone pointless in back-to-back losses to Detroit and Boston — Vancouver only managed to score once in the two games — and hasn’t been able to take faceoffs, attempting just four against the Wings and one against the Bruins.
Sedin has been named an alternate captain for the Swedish team in Sochi and has a long history of competing internationally. He was part of the gold medal-winning side at the 2006 games in Turin, played again at the ’10 games in Vancouver and won gold at the 2013 World Hockey Championships.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)