Feb 6, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
First, the NHL-related news: Vancouver is shutting down captain Henrik Sedin for the next two games with a lingering upper-body injury, one that’s already sidelined him for six games and limited his ability over the last two.
“We are shutting Henrik down for next 2 games. He wants to play, but he’s not as effective as we need him to be right now.” – Torts
— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) February 6, 2014
Now, the Olympic-related news: Vancouver head coach John Tortorella doesn’t want Sedin to play for Sweden in Sochi.
John Tortorella on whether Henrik Sedin should go to the Olympics: “Do I want him to go, no. But that’s a family matter.”
— Louis Jean (@LouisJean_TVA) February 6, 2014
It’s going to be a dicey situation in Canuck land over the next few days. Sedin won’t play tonight against Montreal or Saturday in Toronto, and is scheduled to head over to Sochi shortly thereafter to join the Swedish team.
To say Sedin has been ineffective lately would be putting it mildly. He’s gone pointless in back-to-back losses to Detroit and Boston — Vancouver only managed to score once in the two games — and hasn’t been able to take faceoffs, attempting just four against the Wings and one against the Bruins.
Sedin has been named an alternate captain for the Swedish team in Sochi and has a long history of competing internationally. He was part of the gold medal-winning side at the 2006 games in Turin, played again at the ’10 games in Vancouver and won gold at the 2013 World Hockey Championships.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)