Feb 6, 2014, 11:02 AM EST
Nearly a month after being passed over for the Canadian Olympic team, Martin St. Louis is headed to Sochi.
On Thursday, Hockey Canada announced the 38-year-old veteran would be replacing the injured Steve Stamkos on the Canadian team headed to the Winter Olympics. It’ll mark St. Louis’ first Olympic appearance since suiting up in Turin in 2006 (he was named as a standby for the ’10 team in Vancouver.)
“It’s well-deserved,” Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said, per the Toronto Sun. “Marty has to be at the top of the list (to replace Stamkos). He was in my book.”
St. Louis has been on fire since first being omitted from the Canadian squad last month. He had eight goals and 15 points in 15 games during the month of January, highlighted by a four-goal performance against San Jose on Jan. 18.
With the announcement, St. Louis becomes the oldest player on the Canadian roster, a title previously held by 34-year-old Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo. Being the oldest guy at the party is nothing new for St. Louis, though, as he became the oldest scoring champion and Art Ross winner in NHL history last season when he scored 60 points in 48 games — at the age of 37.
“I’m just happy to be getting the opportunity,” St. Louis said upon learning he’d made the team.
Stamkos was ruled out of action yesterday after the Lightning’s medical staff declared his broken leg wasn’t fully healed. Canada opens up the Olympic tournament on Feb. 13 with a game against Norway.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Veteran tough guy hopeful to return by the playoffs.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 0
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)