Feb 5, 2014, 8:54 PM EDT
Things got a little testy midway through the first period of the Buffalo-Pittsburgh game on Wednesday night:
That was Steve Ott catching the recently-recalled Harry Zolnierczyk with a heavy hit at the midway point of the frame — Zolnierczyk left briefly, but did return and gained a measure of revenge by scoring his second goal of the year, evening the score at one after Drew Stafford opened the scoring for Buffalo.
As for the tilt… full marks to Engelland for hanging in with Scott, despite giving up nearly six inches and 60 pounds to the Sabres’ tough guy. This actually marked the second time the two have tangled, as they threw down during the 2011-12 season in response to Engelland’s big hit on Marcus Kruger (Scott was playing for Chicago at the time.)
Engelland was suspended three games for the Kruger hit.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20