Feb 5, 2014, 8:54 PM EDT
Things got a little testy midway through the first period of the Buffalo-Pittsburgh game on Wednesday night:
That was Steve Ott catching the recently-recalled Harry Zolnierczyk with a heavy hit at the midway point of the frame — Zolnierczyk left briefly, but did return and gained a measure of revenge by scoring his second goal of the year, evening the score at one after Drew Stafford opened the scoring for Buffalo.
As for the tilt… full marks to Engelland for hanging in with Scott, despite giving up nearly six inches and 60 pounds to the Sabres’ tough guy. This actually marked the second time the two have tangled, as they threw down during the 2011-12 season in response to Engelland’s big hit on Marcus Kruger (Scott was playing for Chicago at the time.)
Engelland was suspended three games for the Kruger hit.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35