Feb 5, 2014, 8:54 PM EDT
Things got a little testy midway through the first period of the Buffalo-Pittsburgh game on Wednesday night:
That was Steve Ott catching the recently-recalled Harry Zolnierczyk with a heavy hit at the midway point of the frame — Zolnierczyk left briefly, but did return and gained a measure of revenge by scoring his second goal of the year, evening the score at one after Drew Stafford opened the scoring for Buffalo.
As for the tilt… full marks to Engelland for hanging in with Scott, despite giving up nearly six inches and 60 pounds to the Sabres’ tough guy. This actually marked the second time the two have tangled, as they threw down during the 2011-12 season in response to Engelland’s big hit on Marcus Kruger (Scott was playing for Chicago at the time.)
Engelland was suspended three games for the Kruger hit.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 0
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 1
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 4
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5