Feb 5, 2014, 8:54 PM EDT
Things got a little testy midway through the first period of the Buffalo-Pittsburgh game on Wednesday night:
That was Steve Ott catching the recently-recalled Harry Zolnierczyk with a heavy hit at the midway point of the frame — Zolnierczyk left briefly, but did return and gained a measure of revenge by scoring his second goal of the year, evening the score at one after Drew Stafford opened the scoring for Buffalo.
As for the tilt… full marks to Engelland for hanging in with Scott, despite giving up nearly six inches and 60 pounds to the Sabres’ tough guy. This actually marked the second time the two have tangled, as they threw down during the 2011-12 season in response to Engelland’s big hit on Marcus Kruger (Scott was playing for Chicago at the time.)
Engelland was suspended three games for the Kruger hit.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54