Feb 5, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Just to give an idea of how intense the Matt Moulson sweepstakes are, here’s Chris Botta of the Sports Business Journal:
More than a dozen teams have contacted the Sabres about Matt Moulson. A lock to be moved before deadline, if not a lot sooner.
— Chris Botta (@ChrisBottaNHL) February 5, 2014
The only potential hiccup to said sweepstakes is the fact Moulson’s currently on IR with a suspected arm injury. He was hurt last week against Phoenix on a Shane Doan hit/slash, and looked to be in considerable pain upon leaving the ice.
The former Islander, who came to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, has nine goals and 24 points in 40 games for the Sabres this season. He’s in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal and rumored to be on the want list of a number of teams at the deadline, so it’ll be very interesting to see 1) how severe this injury is, and 2) how much it affects the bidding war (though according to Botta’s tweet, it doesn’t seem to have slowed things any.)
The Senators have reportedly been kicking the tires on Moulson, according to the Ottawa Sun, and dialed-in Kings scribe John Hoven — from Mayors’ Manor — says L.A. is very interested in acquiring Moulson as well.
Moulson hasn’t said what his plans are for the future, but didn’t rule out re-signing in Buffalo.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)