Feb 5, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Just to give an idea of how intense the Matt Moulson sweepstakes are, here’s Chris Botta of the Sports Business Journal:
More than a dozen teams have contacted the Sabres about Matt Moulson. A lock to be moved before deadline, if not a lot sooner.
— Chris Botta (@ChrisBottaNHL) February 5, 2014
The only potential hiccup to said sweepstakes is the fact Moulson’s currently on IR with a suspected arm injury. He was hurt last week against Phoenix on a Shane Doan hit/slash, and looked to be in considerable pain upon leaving the ice.
The former Islander, who came to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, has nine goals and 24 points in 40 games for the Sabres this season. He’s in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal and rumored to be on the want list of a number of teams at the deadline, so it’ll be very interesting to see 1) how severe this injury is, and 2) how much it affects the bidding war (though according to Botta’s tweet, it doesn’t seem to have slowed things any.)
The Senators have reportedly been kicking the tires on Moulson, according to the Ottawa Sun, and dialed-in Kings scribe John Hoven — from Mayors’ Manor — says L.A. is very interested in acquiring Moulson as well.
Moulson hasn’t said what his plans are for the future, but didn’t rule out re-signing in Buffalo.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20