Feb 5, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Just to give an idea of how intense the Matt Moulson sweepstakes are, here’s Chris Botta of the Sports Business Journal:
More than a dozen teams have contacted the Sabres about Matt Moulson. A lock to be moved before deadline, if not a lot sooner.
— Chris Botta (@ChrisBottaNHL) February 5, 2014
The only potential hiccup to said sweepstakes is the fact Moulson’s currently on IR with a suspected arm injury. He was hurt last week against Phoenix on a Shane Doan hit/slash, and looked to be in considerable pain upon leaving the ice.
The former Islander, who came to Buffalo as part of the Thomas Vanek trade, has nine goals and 24 points in 40 games for the Sabres this season. He’s in the last of a three-year, $9.4 million deal and rumored to be on the want list of a number of teams at the deadline, so it’ll be very interesting to see 1) how severe this injury is, and 2) how much it affects the bidding war (though according to Botta’s tweet, it doesn’t seem to have slowed things any.)
The Senators have reportedly been kicking the tires on Moulson, according to the Ottawa Sun, and dialed-in Kings scribe John Hoven — from Mayors’ Manor — says L.A. is very interested in acquiring Moulson as well.
Moulson hasn’t said what his plans are for the future, but didn’t rule out re-signing in Buffalo.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)