Feb 5, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
The New York Islanders gave up Matt Moulson, a first-round pick, and a second-round selection in order to get Thomas Vanek back in October. Now that it seems unlikely that he’ll re-sign before the free agent period, he’s expected to be moved again.
Nothing has gone the way the Islanders planned, but at this point their best bet is just to cut their losses. In that regard, there is still hope.
The early word around the league is that the cost to snag Vanek would be a three-asset haul, whether those assets are first-round picks or prospects or a player. It could be any combination. And if one of the assets is high-end enough, perhaps a two-asset package could do it.
The Los Angeles Kings are believed to be among the teams interested in his services. They would certainly make sense given their offensive woes, although they might ultimately settle on a cheaper solution.
Whether or not the Islanders’ Vanek experiment is regarded as a major misstep will be judged on what return the Islanders can get for him compared to what they surrendered. Even still, Vanek has left the door open to the possibility of re-signing with the Islanders in the summer even if they trade him.
Of course, the persistent rumor is that he’s actually interested in playing with the Wild in 2014-15. Perhaps it will be sooner if the Wild pursue him at the deadline, but given their cap situation, it might be better for them to simply wait until the free agent period. That way they won’t have to meet the Islanders’ demands either.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)