Feb 5, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray acknowledged he’s spoken with teams about pending UFA goalie Ryan Miller.
“I’ve had talks with a couple of teams. They’ve showed some interest,” Murray said, per the Buffalo News/WGR Radio. “They haven’t done anything yet to change that scenario. Talks are going on for a lot of players. There’s a lot of ideas being thrown about here the last few days.”
While Murray said that “nothing’s changed” with regards to Miller’s status, it does sound as though the Sabres are 1) prepared to deal and, 2) in a decent position to make something happen.
Miller’s been very good this season despite playing in front of a bad team, and could potentially showcase what he can do in front of a very good one in Sochi. Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma has yet to announce a starter for the Olympics, and it’s been rumored Miller and Jonathan Quick will split the first two games of the tournament, as a sort-of audition for the No. 1 gig.
Four years ago, Miller rose to prominence by winning tournament MVP and backstopping the Americans to silver. If he can replicate that success in Russia, his stock would undoubtedly rise… and that could mean advantage Murray.
“I have been getting more calls yesterday, the day before and today,’ Murray said. “I’m willing to listen on every single player, so I’m certainly listening on Ryan.”
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 0
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)