Feb 5, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
On Wednesday, Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray acknowledged he’s spoken with teams about pending UFA goalie Ryan Miller.
“I’ve had talks with a couple of teams. They’ve showed some interest,” Murray said, per the Buffalo News/WGR Radio. “They haven’t done anything yet to change that scenario. Talks are going on for a lot of players. There’s a lot of ideas being thrown about here the last few days.”
While Murray said that “nothing’s changed” with regards to Miller’s status, it does sound as though the Sabres are 1) prepared to deal and, 2) in a decent position to make something happen.
Miller’s been very good this season despite playing in front of a bad team, and could potentially showcase what he can do in front of a very good one in Sochi. Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma has yet to announce a starter for the Olympics, and it’s been rumored Miller and Jonathan Quick will split the first two games of the tournament, as a sort-of audition for the No. 1 gig.
Four years ago, Miller rose to prominence by winning tournament MVP and backstopping the Americans to silver. If he can replicate that success in Russia, his stock would undoubtedly rise… and that could mean advantage Murray.
“I have been getting more calls yesterday, the day before and today,’ Murray said. “I’m willing to listen on every single player, so I’m certainly listening on Ryan.”
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 16
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10