Feb 5, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray acknowledged he’s spoken with teams about pending UFA goalie Ryan Miller.
“I’ve had talks with a couple of teams. They’ve showed some interest,” Murray said, per the Buffalo News/WGR Radio. “They haven’t done anything yet to change that scenario. Talks are going on for a lot of players. There’s a lot of ideas being thrown about here the last few days.”
While Murray said that “nothing’s changed” with regards to Miller’s status, it does sound as though the Sabres are 1) prepared to deal and, 2) in a decent position to make something happen.
Miller’s been very good this season despite playing in front of a bad team, and could potentially showcase what he can do in front of a very good one in Sochi. Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma has yet to announce a starter for the Olympics, and it’s been rumored Miller and Jonathan Quick will split the first two games of the tournament, as a sort-of audition for the No. 1 gig.
Four years ago, Miller rose to prominence by winning tournament MVP and backstopping the Americans to silver. If he can replicate that success in Russia, his stock would undoubtedly rise… and that could mean advantage Murray.
“I have been getting more calls yesterday, the day before and today,’ Murray said. “I’m willing to listen on every single player, so I’m certainly listening on Ryan.”
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)