Feb 5, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray acknowledged he’s spoken with teams about pending UFA goalie Ryan Miller.
“I’ve had talks with a couple of teams. They’ve showed some interest,” Murray said, per the Buffalo News/WGR Radio. “They haven’t done anything yet to change that scenario. Talks are going on for a lot of players. There’s a lot of ideas being thrown about here the last few days.”
While Murray said that “nothing’s changed” with regards to Miller’s status, it does sound as though the Sabres are 1) prepared to deal and, 2) in a decent position to make something happen.
Miller’s been very good this season despite playing in front of a bad team, and could potentially showcase what he can do in front of a very good one in Sochi. Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma has yet to announce a starter for the Olympics, and it’s been rumored Miller and Jonathan Quick will split the first two games of the tournament, as a sort-of audition for the No. 1 gig.
Four years ago, Miller rose to prominence by winning tournament MVP and backstopping the Americans to silver. If he can replicate that success in Russia, his stock would undoubtedly rise… and that could mean advantage Murray.
“I have been getting more calls yesterday, the day before and today,’ Murray said. “I’m willing to listen on every single player, so I’m certainly listening on Ryan.”
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 20
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)