Feb 5, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
On Wednesday, Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray acknowledged he’s spoken with teams about pending UFA goalie Ryan Miller.
“I’ve had talks with a couple of teams. They’ve showed some interest,” Murray said, per the Buffalo News/WGR Radio. “They haven’t done anything yet to change that scenario. Talks are going on for a lot of players. There’s a lot of ideas being thrown about here the last few days.”
While Murray said that “nothing’s changed” with regards to Miller’s status, it does sound as though the Sabres are 1) prepared to deal and, 2) in a decent position to make something happen.
Miller’s been very good this season despite playing in front of a bad team, and could potentially showcase what he can do in front of a very good one in Sochi. Team USA head coach Dan Bylsma has yet to announce a starter for the Olympics, and it’s been rumored Miller and Jonathan Quick will split the first two games of the tournament, as a sort-of audition for the No. 1 gig.
Four years ago, Miller rose to prominence by winning tournament MVP and backstopping the Americans to silver. If he can replicate that success in Russia, his stock would undoubtedly rise… and that could mean advantage Murray.
“I have been getting more calls yesterday, the day before and today,’ Murray said. “I’m willing to listen on every single player, so I’m certainly listening on Ryan.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)