Feb 5, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
However, a contract extension with the Devils seems the furthest thing from his mind at this point in the season. His current contract – a three-year, $12 million deal he signed when he was still with the Vancouver Canucks – expires at the end of the 2014-15 season.
“I don’t know,” Schneider recently told NJ.com. “That’s something that I really haven’t put a lot of thought into. I still have a lot to hopefully prove this season.
“We’re still trying to make the playoffs. That’s not even an option for another five or six months, so I’m not thinking about that at all right now.”
The Devils acquired the 27-year-old Schneider from the Canucks in exchange for the ninth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft last June.
His record doesn’t correlate to his overall play this season. He has a 10-10-9 record, but an impressive .925 save percentage (seventh in the NHL), 1.91 goals-against average (second in the NHL), and three shutouts.
In his last outing, Schneider made 23 saves on 25 shots, but the Devils still lost 2-1 to the Colorado Avalanche in overtime.
New Jersey had a one-goal lead but allowed a late goal to send the game into overtime, before Ryan O’Reilly won it for Colorado. That prompted a frustrated Schneider to discuss his team’s recent collapses in games.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 10
- Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 40
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 32
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 45
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 101
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 6
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (101)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)