Feb 5, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
However, a contract extension with the Devils seems the furthest thing from his mind at this point in the season. His current contract – a three-year, $12 million deal he signed when he was still with the Vancouver Canucks – expires at the end of the 2014-15 season.
“I don’t know,” Schneider recently told NJ.com. “That’s something that I really haven’t put a lot of thought into. I still have a lot to hopefully prove this season.
“We’re still trying to make the playoffs. That’s not even an option for another five or six months, so I’m not thinking about that at all right now.”
The Devils acquired the 27-year-old Schneider from the Canucks in exchange for the ninth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft last June.
His record doesn’t correlate to his overall play this season. He has a 10-10-9 record, but an impressive .925 save percentage (seventh in the NHL), 1.91 goals-against average (second in the NHL), and three shutouts.
In his last outing, Schneider made 23 saves on 25 shots, but the Devils still lost 2-1 to the Colorado Avalanche in overtime.
New Jersey had a one-goal lead but allowed a late goal to send the game into overtime, before Ryan O’Reilly won it for Colorado. That prompted a frustrated Schneider to discuss his team’s recent collapses in games.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)