Feb 5, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Almost unbeatable at home for most of this season, the Ducks have lost three of their last four at the Honda Center — and that’s prompted Bruce Boudreau to make a change, recalling Emerson Etem from AHL Norfolk.
“Quite frankly the one thing the last game [was that] it looked like there was a lack of energy and emotion, whether it be in the building or on the bench,” Boudreau said, per NHL.com. “Emerson’s a guy that can bring both of those things to the front.”
Etem, a 21-year-old speedster, was taken in the first round (29th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and had six goals and 10 points in 26 games prior to being demoted in December. He was averaging over 13 minutes per contest, figured prominently on the penalty kill and will likely skate on a line with Saku Koivu and fellow speedster Andrew Cogliano tonight against Chicago.
He’s also hoping to help the Ducks turn things around at Honda. Anaheim started the year 20-0-2 at home before finally losing in regulation to the Jets on Jan. 21. Since then the club has struggled, going just 2-3-0 over its last five home games, including back-to-back losses to Columbus and Dallas.
“For me, being a young guy I just try to keep my mouth shut, bury my head and work hard,” Etem said. “Whatever they tell me to do I’m willing to do. I take pride in being a hometown guy and putting on the Ducks sweater every time I get the opportunity.
“It’s a huge opportunity for me.”
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)