Feb 4, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild will get a big boost on defense tonight against Tampa Bay as defenseman Jared Spurgeon will play for the first time since breaking his foot in early January.
“We’re anxious to see where his game’s at,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said, per NHL.com. “If he can step in and be close to the level that he was at before he got hurt, we’re a lot stronger for it.”
Spurgeon, 24, has missed the last 14 game and was a key member of the Wild blueline prior to breaking his foot. He averaged nearly 22 minutes per game over his first 43 contests, recording 12 points with a plus-6 rating. He’ll pair with Marco Scandella tonight.
The Alberta native had a productive 2013 campaign, scoring 15 points in 39 games while again averaging over 21 minutes per night. As a result, the Wild inked Spurgeon to a three-year, $8 million extension this past summer.
Mar 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Things aren’t going so well for the former first-overall pick.
Mar 15, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Just one of those days for Pittsburgh.
Mar 15, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Al Montoya will start in his place.
Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
They’re already without six forwards.
Mar 15, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Blue line woes hit Buffalo.
Mar 15, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Taylor Pyatt takes his spot on the top line.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
He has zero goals in six games.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
He hasn’t played since the Olympics.
Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Going from up 3-1 to down 5-3 makes for a bad night.
Mar 15, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
He was injured March 8 against Minnesota.
Mar 15, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
He could play Sunday against Detroit.
Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Everyone else more or less lost or was inactive.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
The two teams combined for nine goals in the second period.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Rangers buy some breathing room via Carl Hagelin’s hat trick.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
A showdown between former Canucks goalies goes badly for NJ.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Not that they’re without problems.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Good news for a team giving up a lot of shots.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
He’s questionable to return with an undisclosed injury.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Beauty of a pass to Tom Wilson.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
On the left side, though.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 58
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (58)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)