Feb 4, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild will get a big boost on defense tonight against Tampa Bay as defenseman Jared Spurgeon will play for the first time since breaking his foot in early January.
“We’re anxious to see where his game’s at,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said, per NHL.com. “If he can step in and be close to the level that he was at before he got hurt, we’re a lot stronger for it.”
Spurgeon, 24, has missed the last 14 game and was a key member of the Wild blueline prior to breaking his foot. He averaged nearly 22 minutes per game over his first 43 contests, recording 12 points with a plus-6 rating. He’ll pair with Marco Scandella tonight.
The Alberta native had a productive 2013 campaign, scoring 15 points in 39 games while again averaging over 21 minutes per night. As a result, the Wild inked Spurgeon to a three-year, $8 million extension this past summer.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
They averaged 3.38 goals per game in the postseason.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
They still might avoid the ruling though.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Sunny Mehta wrote two books on the card game, but he’s turned his attention to advanced statistics in sports.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
His relationship with Panthers GM Dale Tallon made a big difference.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Will Los Angeles regret opting against a buyout?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Taking a look at the 2014 champions on Friday.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)