Feb 4, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Callahan scored two first-period goals and added an assist on Brad Richards‘ third period goal to give the New York Rangers a 5-1 win against the Colorado Avalanche. Henrik Lundqvist made 27 saves to help keep some of his own critics quiet as well.
The win was the fourth in a row for the Rangers and after the rumor-filled time Callahan has had of late, his performance won’t do anything to cool off the narratives. After all, you could say his big game came at a time when he’s trying to help make the case for a huge extension or to help grease the wheels for a blockbuster trade ahead of the Olympic roster freeze.
Regardless of all that, it should help make the talk surrounding him before the Olympics only get that much louder.
- Report: No suspension for Lucic spear of DeKeyser 16
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 112
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 54
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17