Feb 4, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
If you’re a New Jersey Devils fan, perhaps you can take some small measure of comfort in knowing that you aren’t the only ones that haven’t been having a good time lately.
Devils goaltender Cory Schneider was in the mood to vent his frustrations after his team blew their third straight late-game lead to force overtime. They went on to lose two of those three contests.
“It’s excruciating. Three times in a row,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger. “I don’t know if it would be any better if it hadn’t happened twice in a row before this, but it (stinks). We should be on a three-game winning streak and moving up the standings with six points.”
Schneider accepted part of the blame given that he was the one that surrendered those key goals, but he also called out his team for not providing him with a bigger buffer.
The Devils haven’t provided him with much offensive support all season. In fact, they’ve only scored three or more goals in five of his 29 starts this season. No wonder he has a 10-10-9 record despite ranking second among eligible netminders with a 1.91 GAA.
The consolation point system has kept the Devils in the running for a playoff spot as they current lead the Eastern Conference with 13. Even still, their recent inability to stay strong late in the third period of contests has robbed them of a potentially critical winning streak.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)