Feb 4, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
If you’re a New Jersey Devils fan, perhaps you can take some small measure of comfort in knowing that you aren’t the only ones that haven’t been having a good time lately.
Devils goaltender Cory Schneider was in the mood to vent his frustrations after his team blew their third straight late-game lead to force overtime. They went on to lose two of those three contests.
“It’s excruciating. Three times in a row,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger. “I don’t know if it would be any better if it hadn’t happened twice in a row before this, but it (stinks). We should be on a three-game winning streak and moving up the standings with six points.”
Schneider accepted part of the blame given that he was the one that surrendered those key goals, but he also called out his team for not providing him with a bigger buffer.
The Devils haven’t provided him with much offensive support all season. In fact, they’ve only scored three or more goals in five of his 29 starts this season. No wonder he has a 10-10-9 record despite ranking second among eligible netminders with a 1.91 GAA.
The consolation point system has kept the Devils in the running for a playoff spot as they current lead the Eastern Conference with 13. Even still, their recent inability to stay strong late in the third period of contests has robbed them of a potentially critical winning streak.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)