Feb 4, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
If you’re a New Jersey Devils fan, perhaps you can take some small measure of comfort in knowing that you aren’t the only ones that haven’t been having a good time lately.
Devils goaltender Cory Schneider was in the mood to vent his frustrations after his team blew their third straight late-game lead to force overtime. They went on to lose two of those three contests.
“It’s excruciating. Three times in a row,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger. “I don’t know if it would be any better if it hadn’t happened twice in a row before this, but it (stinks). We should be on a three-game winning streak and moving up the standings with six points.”
Schneider accepted part of the blame given that he was the one that surrendered those key goals, but he also called out his team for not providing him with a bigger buffer.
The Devils haven’t provided him with much offensive support all season. In fact, they’ve only scored three or more goals in five of his 29 starts this season. No wonder he has a 10-10-9 record despite ranking second among eligible netminders with a 1.91 GAA.
The consolation point system has kept the Devils in the running for a playoff spot as they current lead the Eastern Conference with 13. Even still, their recent inability to stay strong late in the third period of contests has robbed them of a potentially critical winning streak.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)