Feb 4, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
If you’re a New Jersey Devils fan, perhaps you can take some small measure of comfort in knowing that you aren’t the only ones that haven’t been having a good time lately.
Devils goaltender Cory Schneider was in the mood to vent his frustrations after his team blew their third straight late-game lead to force overtime. They went on to lose two of those three contests.
“It’s excruciating. Three times in a row,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger. “I don’t know if it would be any better if it hadn’t happened twice in a row before this, but it (stinks). We should be on a three-game winning streak and moving up the standings with six points.”
Schneider accepted part of the blame given that he was the one that surrendered those key goals, but he also called out his team for not providing him with a bigger buffer.
The Devils haven’t provided him with much offensive support all season. In fact, they’ve only scored three or more goals in five of his 29 starts this season. No wonder he has a 10-10-9 record despite ranking second among eligible netminders with a 1.91 GAA.
The consolation point system has kept the Devils in the running for a playoff spot as they current lead the Eastern Conference with 13. Even still, their recent inability to stay strong late in the third period of contests has robbed them of a potentially critical winning streak.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)