Feb 4, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
David Legwand doesn’t carry the name recognition or flash that a trade target like Thomas Vanek does, but the Nashville Predators hope to score a quality asset for him anyway. At least, that’s the word from TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
More specifically, McKenzie reports that the Predators are angling to land a first or second-round pick for Legwand. Of course, the American center would need to sign off on his destination if GM David Poile could get someone to bite on that price, as Legwand’s expiring deal features a full no-movement clause.
Getting a first-rounder would be fitting since the 33-year-old stands as the franchise’s first-ever draft pick (second overall in 1998, behind Vincent Lecavalier).
Legwand began the season fighting for minutes along with the team’s logjam of defensive forwards, logging 15:37 per night in October, but his overall average is now at 17:02 (second only to Mike Fisher). He’s generally regarded more for his two-way play than offensive skills, yet he’s had a nice scoring contract year, with 39 points in 57 games played.
Will that be enough to help the Predators to get what they want for a player who’s been an important part of the franchise for about 15 years? That’s unclear, but they’re at least giving it a shot.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)