Feb 4, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
David Legwand doesn’t carry the name recognition or flash that a trade target like Thomas Vanek does, but the Nashville Predators hope to score a quality asset for him anyway. At least, that’s the word from TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
More specifically, McKenzie reports that the Predators are angling to land a first or second-round pick for Legwand. Of course, the American center would need to sign off on his destination if GM David Poile could get someone to bite on that price, as Legwand’s expiring deal features a full no-movement clause.
Getting a first-rounder would be fitting since the 33-year-old stands as the franchise’s first-ever draft pick (second overall in 1998, behind Vincent Lecavalier).
Legwand began the season fighting for minutes along with the team’s logjam of defensive forwards, logging 15:37 per night in October, but his overall average is now at 17:02 (second only to Mike Fisher). He’s generally regarded more for his two-way play than offensive skills, yet he’s had a nice scoring contract year, with 39 points in 57 games played.
Will that be enough to help the Predators to get what they want for a player who’s been an important part of the franchise for about 15 years? That’s unclear, but they’re at least giving it a shot.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 43
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 20
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)