Feb 4, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
David Legwand doesn’t carry the name recognition or flash that a trade target like Thomas Vanek does, but the Nashville Predators hope to score a quality asset for him anyway. At least, that’s the word from TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
More specifically, McKenzie reports that the Predators are angling to land a first or second-round pick for Legwand. Of course, the American center would need to sign off on his destination if GM David Poile could get someone to bite on that price, as Legwand’s expiring deal features a full no-movement clause.
Getting a first-rounder would be fitting since the 33-year-old stands as the franchise’s first-ever draft pick (second overall in 1998, behind Vincent Lecavalier).
Legwand began the season fighting for minutes along with the team’s logjam of defensive forwards, logging 15:37 per night in October, but his overall average is now at 17:02 (second only to Mike Fisher). He’s generally regarded more for his two-way play than offensive skills, yet he’s had a nice scoring contract year, with 39 points in 57 games played.
Will that be enough to help the Predators to get what they want for a player who’s been an important part of the franchise for about 15 years? That’s unclear, but they’re at least giving it a shot.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)