Feb 4, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
David Legwand doesn’t carry the name recognition or flash that a trade target like Thomas Vanek does, but the Nashville Predators hope to score a quality asset for him anyway. At least, that’s the word from TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
More specifically, McKenzie reports that the Predators are angling to land a first or second-round pick for Legwand. Of course, the American center would need to sign off on his destination if GM David Poile could get someone to bite on that price, as Legwand’s expiring deal features a full no-movement clause.
Getting a first-rounder would be fitting since the 33-year-old stands as the franchise’s first-ever draft pick (second overall in 1998, behind Vincent Lecavalier).
Legwand began the season fighting for minutes along with the team’s logjam of defensive forwards, logging 15:37 per night in October, but his overall average is now at 17:02 (second only to Mike Fisher). He’s generally regarded more for his two-way play than offensive skills, yet he’s had a nice scoring contract year, with 39 points in 57 games played.
Will that be enough to help the Predators to get what they want for a player who’s been an important part of the franchise for about 15 years? That’s unclear, but they’re at least giving it a shot.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)