Feb 4, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
David Legwand doesn’t carry the name recognition or flash that a trade target like Thomas Vanek does, but the Nashville Predators hope to score a quality asset for him anyway. At least, that’s the word from TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
More specifically, McKenzie reports that the Predators are angling to land a first or second-round pick for Legwand. Of course, the American center would need to sign off on his destination if GM David Poile could get someone to bite on that price, as Legwand’s expiring deal features a full no-movement clause.
Getting a first-rounder would be fitting since the 33-year-old stands as the franchise’s first-ever draft pick (second overall in 1998, behind Vincent Lecavalier).
Legwand began the season fighting for minutes along with the team’s logjam of defensive forwards, logging 15:37 per night in October, but his overall average is now at 17:02 (second only to Mike Fisher). He’s generally regarded more for his two-way play than offensive skills, yet he’s had a nice scoring contract year, with 39 points in 57 games played.
Will that be enough to help the Predators to get what they want for a player who’s been an important part of the franchise for about 15 years? That’s unclear, but they’re at least giving it a shot.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)