Feb 4, 2014, 9:02 PM EST
Confidence is usually a great thing to have. Minnesota Wild forward Nino Niederreiter has plenty of that going for him and he believes in his Switzerland team as they head into the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
Niederreiter tells Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press he’s excited for his team at this year’s Olympics and believes they’ve got a chance to do well.
“I think we have a great team, actually,” said Niederreiter. “We have a lot of strong defensemen and two great goalies. It definitely helps our confidence, and the experience, there’s going to be nothing like it.”
The goalies he’s referring to are Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks and Reto Berra of the Calgary Flames. Add in former Dallas Stars goalie Tobias Stephan and that’s a solid trio. With Roman Josi, Mark Streit, Raphael Diaz, and Yannick Weber on defense, maybe Niederreiter has a point.
Also going for the Swiss is their success at the 2013 World Championships. There, Switzerland made it to the gold medal game before losing to Sweden.
It won’t be easy in the opening round for Switzerland as they’ll have Sweden, Latvia, and the Czech Republic in their group for the round-robin. Add in Switzerland’s previous success at international tournaments and they won’t be flying under anyone’s radar now.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)