Feb 4, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Confidence is usually a great thing to have. Minnesota Wild forward Nino Niederreiter has plenty of that going for him and he believes in his Switzerland team as they head into the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
Niederreiter tells Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press he’s excited for his team at this year’s Olympics and believes they’ve got a chance to do well.
“I think we have a great team, actually,” said Niederreiter. “We have a lot of strong defensemen and two great goalies. It definitely helps our confidence, and the experience, there’s going to be nothing like it.”
The goalies he’s referring to are Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks and Reto Berra of the Calgary Flames. Add in former Dallas Stars goalie Tobias Stephan and that’s a solid trio. With Roman Josi, Mark Streit, Raphael Diaz, and Yannick Weber on defense, maybe Niederreiter has a point.
Also going for the Swiss is their success at the 2013 World Championships. There, Switzerland made it to the gold medal game before losing to Sweden.
It won’t be easy in the opening round for Switzerland as they’ll have Sweden, Latvia, and the Czech Republic in their group for the round-robin. Add in Switzerland’s previous success at international tournaments and they won’t be flying under anyone’s radar now.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 45
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)