Lundqvist to use same pads in Sochi, says critics are ‘ignorant about the game’

Feb 4, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT

Henrik Lundqvist Getty Images

New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will bring NHL-sized goalie pads with him to Sochi for the Winter Olympics.

The (likely) Swedish starter has heard theories about why he hasn’t looked as good this season as he has in the past and the change in pad size is one that’s become popular.

As Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares, Lundqvist isn’t amused by that theory.

“The people who said that the pads were the reason I was not playing well, or said I’d been good before because I’d been cheating, maybe I’d care if they weren’t ignorant about the game and the position,” Lundqvist said.

Just to note, his .917 save percentage so far this season is his lowest since 2008-09 when he finished at .916. His 2.46 goals-against average is the highest its been in his NHL career.

At the very least, we know Lundqvist won’t blame his equipment for how he’s doing, but that won’t stop the theories.

1. 950003cups - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:18 PM

“Lundqvist said you close your pads at the knees and not at the top and adds, if anything, the size regulations have helped him out.”

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!
    Owwwwww!!!

• biffnasty - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Another original hilarious comment….keep up the good work Brah

• jhaegs - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Doesn’t work… FAIL.

• stepanup - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Tried too hard.

• 950003cups - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I guess that joke sucked. But I liked it. That’s what counts.

• barkar942 - Feb 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Hey. We all have to humor 95cups. He is remaining true to his Devils, for which he deserves full credit.
        However, his nurses at the psych ward will be restricting his computer time soon if they trade Jags and Marty.

2. thailer35 - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Not the same pads. Same size. He’ll be wearing Bauer OD1N’s, and they will be Swedish colors.

• multiplemiggs - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:40 AM

i thought they’d be Brazilian colors

3. amiscu - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:35 PM

He’s been wearing OD1Ns…

4. stakex - Feb 4, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Anyone who says his slightly shorter leg pads were his issue early on obviously doesn’t want many Rangers games. He wasn’t getting beat five hole…. he was playing deep in the net and getting beat high glove side a lot.

Its also only fair to point out that his play (and stats) have improved dramatically over the last month or so.

5. stepanup - Feb 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Rangers D coverage was also terrible early on this season before they really grasped AV’s system. A slumping goalie behind a porous defense isn’t a great combination. After another great win tonight, everything seems to be going the right direction.

6. cheliostwin - Feb 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM

As a Red Wings fan, I’m having a hard time deciding which team to root for. Obviously I’d be happy if the U.S. team won gold, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Sweden (six Red Wings, including their captain), Canada (coach Dr. Babcock, GMs Holland and Yzerman), or even Russia (with their captain, Datsyuk) win medals. I doubt if Slovakia will medal, but I hope they don’t get embarrassed either, because of Tatar and Jurco.

• 950003cups - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Let me help you. The teams are divided by country of birth (or citizenship) you root for your country. I’m a diehard Devils fan. But each Olympics, I was rooting for Marty to get lit up when he payed USA. As a Devils fan, I hate the Rangers. During the 2010 olympics, I was yelling “c’mon Cally!!!” When he had a shot. But he didn’t do squat. I hated Rafalski for leaving the Devils. I hated Langenbrunner for being a horrible captain of the Devils. I was rooting for them all!!!!! Even after the Olympics when the rangers and Devils had a game, they honored all the team usa players from both teams. The Prudential Center cheered the lambers from both teams. Even in pisstburgh I think the Pens fans were booing Crosby when they announced him and they cheered Miller.

Of your a red wings fan, root for the jersey. During the Olympics you treat your players as of they were traded to the other team. Would you cheer Zetterberg of he was traded to the Leafs?

• maalea - Feb 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM

I guess that’s the norm in Detroit. I remember back when the wings had the “Russian 5″ There was a US-USSR Canada Cup game in Detroit. The hometown crowd was Pro USSR.

I’ve disliked Wing’s fans ever since.

• cofran2004 - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I think this is quite possibly the best post you’ve ever made. I’d thumb up it 10 times if I could.

• jtowme - Feb 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I agree, except for your…um…ACCIDENTAL misspelling of Pittsburgh. I’m okay with Crosby and Malkin doing well as long as it’s not against the USA.

7. patshal - Feb 5, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Pads have nothing to do with how he plays. That’s just what people like to say. It’s like saying this hockey stick gives me good luck. It’s the same thing with pads. It’s just something people like to say. He’s a good goalie and he is smart. He knows what’s right.

• narfmoo12 - Feb 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM

That’s the dumbest argument you could possibly make. They made the pads smaller. They didn’t just make him get new ones so he couldn’t use his “lucky” ones.

• cofran2004 - Feb 5, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I don’t think thats what he was saying. I think he was saying the man makes the man. The pads do not.

• 950003cups - Feb 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM

patshal meant what he said. narfmoo12 was right in his response.

8. goalieguy32 - Feb 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Lundqvist said “you close your pads at the knees and not at the top”…

you close your pads at the knees if the thigh rise ends just above your knees, and you must press your knees together to close the 5-hole

if the thigh rise is 6 inches taller than your knees you close them at the top and then your knees don’t have to come together to close them…. Bigger Pads cover more space. it’s simple 36+4 covers more than 36+1

That being said, he’s playing great and clearly for Hank, it doesn’t make a difference.

• 950003cups - Feb 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Thanks goalieguy32, you just gave away the big secret. You just improved Sweden’s gold medal chances by 200%.

Actually you do close at the knees. With taller pads you don’t have to squeeze as much. But if you just place the tops together in a butterfly without squeezing at the knees, the puck will fly through like a hot knife through butter. This isn’t pee-wee hockey. They shoot a tad harder.

• goalieguy32 - Feb 5, 2014 at 3:52 PM

950003cups, we agree, it doesn’t make a difference in Hank’s play at the end of the day, he’s playing incredible …

But, i’m also willing to bet you’ve seen a modern goalie pad. they are made of modern materials and the thigh rise can be very stiff. we’re not talking leather and deer hair here. of course you butterfly by driving your knees to the ice, together, and in this normal case the thigh rises would simply overlap, but if your knees are spread wider in a lateral butterfly slide , say , having a longer thigh rise WILL cover more of the 5-hole. your knife through hot butter remark would be true on a hard direct shot, but i assure you on a redirection or softer shot a modern pad will not give as easily as you say, especially if it has “no breaks” like hank’s current OD1N pads. That’s all Im asserting here :-)

• 950003cups - Feb 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM

The modern pads have (in most cases) double break areas, one is above the knee, the other below. If you don’t put pressure with your knees they will act as saloon doors and the puck will go in. You are correct, I was talking about a direct shot. A tip-in will rarely make a B-Line though the thighs if you are in a stable butterfly. They will most likely find the 5 hole if you are moving laterally.

• gekkoguy82 - Feb 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Since NHL guys pretty much are using new gear constantly, and even with double breaks the thigh rises don’t just flop around. By the time those guys break in their pads to the point the thighs swing like saloon doors, they’ve long since moved on to other pairs (must be nice). Maybe a Shea Weber blast from 3 feet out could push through, but even then I’m skeptical. With proper stick positioning it wouldn’t be an issue at all.

9. moarjam - Feb 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM

He’s let in 10 total goals in his last 10 games. I’d say he’s comfortable with his pads.

10. goalieguy32 - Feb 5, 2014 at 5:04 PM

were in agreement cups. my only point was that a +4 on EACH pad’s thigh rise , turns into 8 inches of extra coverage in total. shots deflect , sneak in and tip in from crowded creases. its CERTAINLY not going to make or break these super talented athlete’s games. Clearly though there was concern about it before the year on the rule change.

if anyones interested check out this article from In Goal magazine, which speaks to the rule change and how guys have adapted to it . it’s old but informative.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches