Feb 4, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will bring NHL-sized goalie pads with him to Sochi for the Winter Olympics.
The (likely) Swedish starter has heard theories about why he hasn’t looked as good this season as he has in the past and the change in pad size is one that’s become popular.
As Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares, Lundqvist isn’t amused by that theory.
“The people who said that the pads were the reason I was not playing well, or said I’d been good before because I’d been cheating, maybe I’d care if they weren’t ignorant about the game and the position,” Lundqvist said.
Lundqvist said you close your pads at the knees and not at the top and adds, if anything, the size regulations have helped him out.
Just to note, his .917 save percentage so far this season is his lowest since 2008-09 when he finished at .916. His 2.46 goals-against average is the highest its been in his NHL career.
At the very least, we know Lundqvist won’t blame his equipment for how he’s doing, but that won’t stop the theories.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 56
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (56)