Feb 4, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will bring NHL-sized goalie pads with him to Sochi for the Winter Olympics.
The (likely) Swedish starter has heard theories about why he hasn’t looked as good this season as he has in the past and the change in pad size is one that’s become popular.
As Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares, Lundqvist isn’t amused by that theory.
“The people who said that the pads were the reason I was not playing well, or said I’d been good before because I’d been cheating, maybe I’d care if they weren’t ignorant about the game and the position,” Lundqvist said.
Lundqvist said you close your pads at the knees and not at the top and adds, if anything, the size regulations have helped him out.
Just to note, his .917 save percentage so far this season is his lowest since 2008-09 when he finished at .916. His 2.46 goals-against average is the highest its been in his NHL career.
At the very least, we know Lundqvist won’t blame his equipment for how he’s doing, but that won’t stop the theories.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)