Feb 4, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
After scoring 16 points in 15 games, Tampa Bay forward Ondrej Palat has been named the NHL’s rookie of the month for January.
Palat edged out fellow Bolts rookie Tyler Johnson, who finished with 14 points in 15 games.
The 22-year-old Palat, the youngest player named to the Czech Olympic team, had a tremendous January, opening with a five-game point streak that saw him set a franchise record for longest scoring streak by a rookie (eight games). Just for good measure, Palat finished off the month with a five-game point streak as well.
Palat wasn’t without strong competition for the award, though. Johnson had a tremendous month, as did Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon (seven goals, 14 points). A pair of goalies — Minnesota’s Darcy Kuemper and Anaheim’s Frederik Andersen — also played extremely well.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)