Feb 4, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
If you’re wondering about Finland’s approach to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, check out what assistant GM Jarmo Kekalainen had to say on Sportsnet’s Fan 590 radio today.
“It’ll be all about team. That’s our strength and we love to be the underdog,” Kekalainen explained. “We’re going to bite everybody’s ankles and not let go — that’s the only way we’re going to be successful.”
Though they like to fancy themselves underdogs, the Finns have been perennial medal contenders since NHL players began competing in the Olympics in 1998, capturing silver in ’98 and 2006 and bronze in 2010. At the upcoming ’14 tournament, the team will lean heavily on a number of players that’ve achieved success in past competitions, as Finland boasts one of the oldest and most-experienced rosters, featuring Teemu Selanne (43 years old), Sami Salo (39), Kimmo Timonen (38) and Olli Jokinen (35).
This isn’t to say, however, that the Finns don’t have any youth coming through the ranks. Olli Maatta, Pittsburgh’s young star defenseman, and Florida’s leading scorer Aleksander Barkov both made the team despite being 19 and 18, respectively. Given their success at the NHL level this season, both should play prominent roles in Sochi.
And then, of course, there’s the goaltending.
Finland boasts arguably the greatest depth in the world at the position as Tuukka Rask, Antti Niemi and Kari Lehtonen made the cut for the Winter Games. Considering the likes of Pekka Rinne (injured), Karri Ramo, Antti Raanta and Nicklas Backstrom were left off the team is evidence to just how much depth the Finns have in goal.
Kekalainen acknowledged its one of his team’s great assets.
“We have three great goaltenders,” he explained. “All have proven themselves in the NHL. It’s a big strength for our team.”
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 5
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6