Feb 4, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The last time the Blues took on the Senators, Ottawa’s Zack Smith was given an illegal check to the head penalty for a hit on St. Louis’ leading goalscorer, Alex Steen. According to the Blues, Steen landed on IR with a concussion and missed 11 games partly due to that blow, one head coach Ken Hitchcock wasn’t fond of.
“I didn’t like it,” Hitchcock said prior to tonight’s rematch, per the Post-Dispatch. “It was a double-back hit. I didn’t like it.”
There’s no video available of the hit but, according to the Post-Dispatch, the league did review the incident before declining to follow-up with supplemental discipline.
Smith is a gritty player that sits fourth on Ottawa in hits (132) and fifth in fights (two). He’ll be in the lineup tonight, but Hitchcock doesn’t figure much will happen in the way of retribution — even though the Blues are dressing Ryan Reaves for the second straight game after he was a healthy scratch against New Jersey and Carolina.
“Nah, I don’t think so,” Hitchcock said, when asked about the possibility of retribution. “I think if it was a Western Conference opponent, we might look at it differently, but these are two games … we might never see these guys again.
“Points matter more than anything right now. That’s our focus right now. We’re not prepared to be distracted by that right now.”
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)