Feb 4, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
The last time the Blues took on the Senators, Ottawa’s Zack Smith was given an illegal check to the head penalty for a hit on St. Louis’ leading goalscorer, Alex Steen. According to the Blues, Steen landed on IR with a concussion and missed 11 games partly due to that blow, one head coach Ken Hitchcock wasn’t fond of.
“I didn’t like it,” Hitchcock said prior to tonight’s rematch, per the Post-Dispatch. “It was a double-back hit. I didn’t like it.”
There’s no video available of the hit but, according to the Post-Dispatch, the league did review the incident before declining to follow-up with supplemental discipline.
Smith is a gritty player that sits fourth on Ottawa in hits (132) and fifth in fights (two). He’ll be in the lineup tonight, but Hitchcock doesn’t figure much will happen in the way of retribution — even though the Blues are dressing Ryan Reaves for the second straight game after he was a healthy scratch against New Jersey and Carolina.
“Nah, I don’t think so,” Hitchcock said, when asked about the possibility of retribution. “I think if it was a Western Conference opponent, we might look at it differently, but these are two games … we might never see these guys again.
“Points matter more than anything right now. That’s our focus right now. We’re not prepared to be distracted by that right now.”
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)