Feb 4, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
The last time the Blues took on the Senators, Ottawa’s Zack Smith was given an illegal check to the head penalty for a hit on St. Louis’ leading goalscorer, Alex Steen. According to the Blues, Steen landed on IR with a concussion and missed 11 games partly due to that blow, one head coach Ken Hitchcock wasn’t fond of.
“I didn’t like it,” Hitchcock said prior to tonight’s rematch, per the Post-Dispatch. “It was a double-back hit. I didn’t like it.”
There’s no video available of the hit but, according to the Post-Dispatch, the league did review the incident before declining to follow-up with supplemental discipline.
Smith is a gritty player that sits fourth on Ottawa in hits (132) and fifth in fights (two). He’ll be in the lineup tonight, but Hitchcock doesn’t figure much will happen in the way of retribution — even though the Blues are dressing Ryan Reaves for the second straight game after he was a healthy scratch against New Jersey and Carolina.
“Nah, I don’t think so,” Hitchcock said, when asked about the possibility of retribution. “I think if it was a Western Conference opponent, we might look at it differently, but these are two games … we might never see these guys again.
“Points matter more than anything right now. That’s our focus right now. We’re not prepared to be distracted by that right now.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)