Feb 4, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
Antti Niemi and the San Jose Sharks were riding high lately, and the good times continued for a big chunk of Monday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers. It all fell apart in the third period, however, as Philly scored three goals in less than four minutes to chase Niemi and lock up a 5-2 win.
In the process, San Jose endured a rare blown third period lead, as they’re now 26-2-2 after leading following two periods.
Matt Read began the run 1:11 into the third period:
Michael Raffl gave the Flyers a 3-2 lead 2:29 into the final frame:
Finally, Claude Giroux‘s 4-2 tally ended Niemi’s night early just under four minutes into the third period:
The Flyers improved to 28-23-6 while the Sharks fell to 35-16-6 after tonight’s game.
- Weise gives Canadiens overtime win, 1-0 series lead 0
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 8
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 33
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)