Feb 4, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
Antti Niemi and the San Jose Sharks were riding high lately, and the good times continued for a big chunk of Monday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers. It all fell apart in the third period, however, as Philly scored three goals in less than four minutes to chase Niemi and lock up a 5-2 win.
In the process, San Jose endured a rare blown third period lead, as they’re now 26-2-2 after leading following two periods.
Matt Read began the run 1:11 into the third period:
Michael Raffl gave the Flyers a 3-2 lead 2:29 into the final frame:
Finally, Claude Giroux‘s 4-2 tally ended Niemi’s night early just under four minutes into the third period:
The Flyers improved to 28-23-6 while the Sharks fell to 35-16-6 after tonight’s game.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)