Feb 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Courtesy Detroit’s Channel 4 News, here’s former Red Wings great Slava Fetisov claiming the infamous 1997 limo accident — one that saw Detroit defenseman Vladimir Konstantinov and team massage therapist Sergei Mnatsakanov suffered debilitating head injuries — wasn’t an accident at all.
The incident occurred less than a week after the Wings won the ’97 Stanley Cup, their first championship in 42 years. The limo Konstantinov, Mnatsakanov and Fetisov were riding in crossed three lanes of traffic, jumped the curb and slammed into a tree.
The driver, Richard Gnida, was operating the vehicle after despite having his license suspended for drunk driving.
Konstantinov, who suffered major cognitive damage in the crash, recently returned to Detroit for the 2014 Winter Classic alumni game, where he and the rest of the “Russian Five” — Konstantinov, Fetisov, Sergei Fedorov, Slava Kozlov and Igor Larionov — were greeted with huge applause from the Red Wings faithful.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)