Feb 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Courtesy Detroit’s Channel 4 News, here’s former Red Wings great Slava Fetisov claiming the infamous 1997 limo accident — one that saw Detroit defenseman Vladimir Konstantinov and team massage therapist Sergei Mnatsakanov suffered debilitating head injuries — wasn’t an accident at all.
The incident occurred less than a week after the Wings won the ’97 Stanley Cup, their first championship in 42 years. The limo Konstantinov, Mnatsakanov and Fetisov were riding in crossed three lanes of traffic, jumped the curb and slammed into a tree.
The driver, Richard Gnida, was operating the vehicle after despite having his license suspended for drunk driving.
Konstantinov, who suffered major cognitive damage in the crash, recently returned to Detroit for the 2014 Winter Classic alumni game, where he and the rest of the “Russian Five” — Konstantinov, Fetisov, Sergei Fedorov, Slava Kozlov and Igor Larionov — were greeted with huge applause from the Red Wings faithful.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 0
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 1
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)