Feb 4, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Mike Green will miss his second game tonight since suffering a concussion against Columbus last Thursday and, according to Caps head coach Adam Oates, it’s unlikely Green will return before the NHL’s Olympic break on Feb. 9.
“It looks that way,” Oates said, per CSN Washington. “I can’t guarantee it, but it looks that way.”
Green suffered a concussion when his head was checked into the glass by Blue Jackets forward Boone Jenner. Green said he felt better than expected when he practiced Saturday, but sat out Sunday’s game against the Red Wings and left the ice after 10 minutes on Monday.
Green missed the final 20 games of the 2010-11 regular season with a concussion and Oates said it’s important that doesn’t happen again.
Here’s the Jenner hit:
The Caps take on the Isles tonight, then have two games remaining before the break — Thursday against Winnipeg and Saturday against New Jersey. Green has already missed three games this season with a lower-body injury.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)