Feb 4, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Mike Green will miss his second game tonight since suffering a concussion against Columbus last Thursday and, according to Caps head coach Adam Oates, it’s unlikely Green will return before the NHL’s Olympic break on Feb. 9.
“It looks that way,” Oates said, per CSN Washington. “I can’t guarantee it, but it looks that way.”
Green suffered a concussion when his head was checked into the glass by Blue Jackets forward Boone Jenner. Green said he felt better than expected when he practiced Saturday, but sat out Sunday’s game against the Red Wings and left the ice after 10 minutes on Monday.
Green missed the final 20 games of the 2010-11 regular season with a concussion and Oates said it’s important that doesn’t happen again.
Here’s the Jenner hit:
The Caps take on the Isles tonight, then have two games remaining before the break — Thursday against Winnipeg and Saturday against New Jersey. Green has already missed three games this season with a lower-body injury.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)