Feb 3, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
Stamkos Watch now has a target date.
Steven Stamkos, out since November with a broken leg, is aiming to return to action on Saturday against Detroit, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The game will be played at the Tampa Bay Times Forum and is the Bolts’ last before the Olympic break, so the event will be met with equal parts excitement and nervousness — excitement, as it’ll be Stamkos’ first appearance in over 40 games…and nervousness, as he’ll be cutting it close with regards to a decision for participation in the Winter Games.
According to the Times, the Detroit game will essentially decide if Stamkos is fit to play for Team Canada in Sochi or not.
The 23-year-old has been skating for a few weeks and, on Monday, said he felt good during practice with no reported issues during 5-on-5 battle drills. Tampa Bay finishes up a four-game road swing tomorrow in Minnesota before going home for a mini two-game stand against the Leafs and Wings, so Stamkos will have more opportunities to practice before potentially drawing into the lineup on Saturday.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)