Feb 3, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
Stamkos Watch now has a target date.
Steven Stamkos, out since November with a broken leg, is aiming to return to action on Saturday against Detroit, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The game will be played at the Tampa Bay Times Forum and is the Bolts’ last before the Olympic break, so the event will be met with equal parts excitement and nervousness — excitement, as it’ll be Stamkos’ first appearance in over 40 games…and nervousness, as he’ll be cutting it close with regards to a decision for participation in the Winter Games.
According to the Times, the Detroit game will essentially decide if Stamkos is fit to play for Team Canada in Sochi or not.
The 23-year-old has been skating for a few weeks and, on Monday, said he felt good during practice with no reported issues during 5-on-5 battle drills. Tampa Bay finishes up a four-game road swing tomorrow in Minnesota before going home for a mini two-game stand against the Leafs and Wings, so Stamkos will have more opportunities to practice before potentially drawing into the lineup on Saturday.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 0
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 71
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (86)