Feb 3, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
While it’s unclear if he’ll even get one Minnesota Wild game in before playing for Finland in the 2014 Winter Olympics, Mikko Koivu‘s goal remains to be a contributor in Sochi. The Wild appear uncertain if he’ll reach that goal, though.
The 30-year-old skated on his own on Monday, yet that didn’t seem to push head coach Mike Yeo in one direction or another regarding whether he believes Koivu can suit up for Finland.
“We know how bad he wants to go,” Yeo said. “For us personally, first and foremost, if he’s not physically capable, of course we wouldn’t want him to go. But at the same time we’d be very proud and honored to have him go over there.”
Sending a guy who might not be 100 percent overseas might seem like an easy idea for NHL teams to dismiss, but Yeo spins Koivu’s potential Olympic participation in a positive way, noting that he could potentially shake off rust in the process. He hasn’t played since Jan. 4 since injuring his ankle, which required surgery.
Again, Koivu was adamant that he would be willing to play for Finland even if he doesn’t get any time in before flying over.
“It always matters (to play ahead of time), but if not so be it,” Koivu said, per the Pioneer Press. “I think in my situation being off right now, not playing any games, it’s going to be good for me to play some games and practice with the team first off.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)