Feb 3, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
In his first day back on the job, John Tortorella is getting himself a new player.
The Canucks have acquired Montreal defenseman Raphael Diaz in exchange for forward Dale Weise, it was announced on Monday. For Vancouver, the move makes sense as the club has lost the services of Kevin Bieksa (undisclosed) until after the Olympic break, along with fellow blueliner Chris Tanev (broken thumb).
Diaz, 28, is a pending UFA making $1.225 million this season. The Swiss rearguard — he’ll be representing his country at the upcoming Olympics — has 11 points in 46 games this season, but has been in and out of Montreal’s crowded blueline mix (the Habs had nine defensemen on NHL contracts and some good young prospects in AHL Hamilton). Diaz had been a healthy scratch in seven of Montreal’s last 10 games.
He’s not the most physical rearguard in the league, but was one of only three Canadiens with at least 100 blocked shots — something that should fit Tortorella’s style well.
As for Weise, he’s spent the last three years in Vancouver carving a niche as a speedy, bottom-six checking forward that’s not afraid to fight. He showed some decent offensive upside this season — scoring a career-high 12 points in just 44 games — but, like Diaz, has been in and out of the lineup recently.
Weise, 25, is currently on a one-year, $750,000 deal. He’ll be a restricted free agent at season’s end.
“A young veteran with 162 games of experience at the NHL level, Weise is a winger with a physical style of play who brings additional toughness and grit to our group of forwards,” said Habs GM Marc Bergevin.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)