Feb 3, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Canucks head coach John Tortorella will return from his 15-day suspension to take on Detroit tonight and, to hear him explain it, he’s returning to a team that’s lost its way.
“We’re off the rails on a lot of different aspects,” Tortorella said of his team, which went 2-4-0 in his absence. “Every aspect of our game is off. This team can and will play the right way.”
Tortorella, who’s been away from the team since going after Calgary coach Bob Hartley on Jan. 18, was apologetic on Monday, saying he “embarrassed” his family and the organization, adding his suspension came at a time then the Canucks probably needed him most.
“I apologize first and foremost to the players, to the organization and to the league. It hasn’t been a great two weeks,” he said. “I didn’t help matters for this team and we’re in a tough spot right now. It’s up to me to do my job and get this team back.”
The Canucks won just once in regulation during Tortorella’s absence — a 2-1 victory in Edmonton — and also beat Phoenix in OT. But his time away was largely marked by defeats (to Nashville, Edmonton, Chicago and Winnipeg) and an inability to score goals. Vancouver had just 15 over the six games, five coming in one outing against the Coyotes.
Tortorella says there are many things for his players to deal with, and they’ll start with what’s between their ears.
“We had meetings this morning, we have a long list of things we need to improve at,” he said. “We need to start over on the mental side.”
Sep 23, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
Latest update: He’s on crutches.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Buffalo holds him out from the rest of the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
He’s straightforward about it, at least.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Incident occurred during last night’s win over the Rangers.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Lightning rookie will miss at least the first few games of the regular season.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s establishing what he expects early.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)