Feb 3, 2014, 2:38 PM EST
On Monday, the Swedish national team replaced one Detroit forward with another.
Gustav Nyquist was named as an injury replacement for the concussed Johan Franzen, according to the Detroit Free Press. That makes it 11 Red Wings named to their respective national teams for the Winter Olympics in Sochi: Nyquist, Franzen, Pavel Datsyuk (Russia), Tomas Jurco (Slovakia), Tomas Tatar (Slovakia), Jonas Gustavsson (Sweden), Jonathan Ericsson (Sweden), Niklas Kronwall (Sweden), Daniel Alfredsson (Sweden), Henrik Zetterberg (Sweden) and Jimmy Howard (United States).
Nyquist, 24, has been in fine form as of late, notching a hat trick and an assist in a 5-4 OT loss to Washington on Sunday. Nyquist now has 12 points in his last eight games and 22 in 30 this season.
A fourth-round pick by Detroit at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Nyquist made the Swedish team as an injury replacement over the likes of Nashville’s Patric Hornqvist and Washington’s Marcus Johansson, both of whom were shortlisted to take Franzen’s spot.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)