Feb 3, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT
On Monday, the Swedish national team replaced one Detroit forward with another.
Gustav Nyquist was named as an injury replacement for the concussed Johan Franzen, according to the Detroit Free Press. That makes it 11 Red Wings named to their respective national teams for the Winter Olympics in Sochi: Nyquist, Franzen, Pavel Datsyuk (Russia), Tomas Jurco (Slovakia), Tomas Tatar (Slovakia), Jonas Gustavsson (Sweden), Jonathan Ericsson (Sweden), Niklas Kronwall (Sweden), Daniel Alfredsson (Sweden), Henrik Zetterberg (Sweden) and Jimmy Howard (United States).
Nyquist, 24, has been in fine form as of late, notching a hat trick and an assist in a 5-4 OT loss to Washington on Sunday. Nyquist now has 12 points in his last eight games and 22 in 30 this season.
A fourth-round pick by Detroit at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Nyquist made the Swedish team as an injury replacement over the likes of Nashville’s Patric Hornqvist and Washington’s Marcus Johansson, both of whom were shortlisted to take Franzen’s spot.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)