Feb 3, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT
On Monday, the Swedish national team replaced one Detroit forward with another.
Gustav Nyquist was named as an injury replacement for the concussed Johan Franzen, according to the Detroit Free Press. That makes it 11 Red Wings named to their respective national teams for the Winter Olympics in Sochi: Nyquist, Franzen, Pavel Datsyuk (Russia), Tomas Jurco (Slovakia), Tomas Tatar (Slovakia), Jonas Gustavsson (Sweden), Jonathan Ericsson (Sweden), Niklas Kronwall (Sweden), Daniel Alfredsson (Sweden), Henrik Zetterberg (Sweden) and Jimmy Howard (United States).
Nyquist, 24, has been in fine form as of late, notching a hat trick and an assist in a 5-4 OT loss to Washington on Sunday. Nyquist now has 12 points in his last eight games and 22 in 30 this season.
A fourth-round pick by Detroit at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Nyquist made the Swedish team as an injury replacement over the likes of Nashville’s Patric Hornqvist and Washington’s Marcus Johansson, both of whom were shortlisted to take Franzen’s spot.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)