Feb 3, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
Alex Stalock has burst onto the scene this season, breaking San Jose’s franchise shutout streak while emerging as a quality No. 2 behind Antti Niemi — which makes this tidbit from CSN Bay Area all the more interesting…
The 26-year-old would have to play at least 30 minutes in 14 more regular season or playoff games in order to qualify as a restricted free agent, thereby giving the Sharks more flexibility in contract negotiations. If he does not, he will be unrestricted, and could command a larger paycheck.
The Sharks have not yet had any conversations with Stalock about an extension, a source told CSNCalifornia.com.
The Sharks have 26 games remaining in the regular season, including tonight’s game versus Philadelphia.
As mentioned, Stalock would become a Group 6 RFA (for more on that, read here) if he plays the required amount of games, and that designation could prove financially beneficial for the Sharks, who head into next season carrying some pretty large cap hits while still needing to reach new deals for defensemen Dan Boyle and Jason Demers.
Stalock has given San Jose some quality games in recent weeks and has been the goalie of record in three of the Sharks’ last six outings. He’s 7-4-0 with a 1.69 goals-against average and .939 save percentage in 14 games overall, which is great production given he’s only making $625,000 this year.
Last week, Stalock broke Evgeni Nabokov’s shutout streak record by going 178:55 without allowing a single tally.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)