Feb 3, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
Slovakia may be without one of its best players in Sochi.
Marian Gaborik‘s agent, Ron Salcer, told the Columbus Dispatch on Monday his client was a “long shot” to play at the Winter Olympics due to a broken collarbone, one that’s sidelined Gaborik since mid-December.
This development comes just days after head coach Todd Richards said Gaborik wouldn’t be ready to rejoin the Blue Jackets lineup prior to the Olympic break, adding he was unsure if Gaborik would even be medically cleared to join the Slovak team.
The 31-year-old was a key performer during Slovakia’s surprising fourth-place finish at the ’10 Winter Games in Vancouver. Gaborik led the team with four goals in seven games and averaged over 17 minutes a night.
If he’s unable to go, Slovakia will have an extremely difficult time replacing his offense and overall pedigree. The country doesn’t have a wealth of NHL talent to choose from — all 13 active Slovaks in the league made the Olympic team, which includes Chicago sniper Marian Hossa and Boston captain Zdeno Chara.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)