Feb 3, 2014, 3:57 PM EST
Slovakia may be without one of its best players in Sochi.
Marian Gaborik‘s agent, Ron Salcer, told the Columbus Dispatch on Monday his client was a “long shot” to play at the Winter Olympics due to a broken collarbone, one that’s sidelined Gaborik since mid-December.
This development comes just days after head coach Todd Richards said Gaborik wouldn’t be ready to rejoin the Blue Jackets lineup prior to the Olympic break, adding he was unsure if Gaborik would even be medically cleared to join the Slovak team.
The 31-year-old was a key performer during Slovakia’s surprising fourth-place finish at the ’10 Winter Games in Vancouver. Gaborik led the team with four goals in seven games and averaged over 17 minutes a night.
If he’s unable to go, Slovakia will have an extremely difficult time replacing his offense and overall pedigree. The country doesn’t have a wealth of NHL talent to choose from — all 13 active Slovaks in the league made the Olympic team, which includes Chicago sniper Marian Hossa and Boston captain Zdeno Chara.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)