Feb 3, 2014, 5:37 PM EST
“The one move that has been talked about to some degree and looked close at one point — although I don’t know what happened — is Sam Gagner, and I think L.A. has some interest in him.” Friedman told Calgary’s FAN 960 Radio. “I think there are a couple of moving parts there, including are the Oilers willing to take a key part of the salary to make that work from a cap point of view?
“But I do think the Kings have some legitimate interest in Gagner and I think those two teams have talked very seriously.”
Gagner, 24, is in the first of a three-year, $14 million deal with a $4.8M annual cap hit. He missed extensive time at the start of the season with a broken jaw and has just 23 points through 44 games, but did finish second on the Oilers in scoring during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, scoring 38 points in 48 games.
As for the Kings, they’ve scored just three goals in their last six games — all of them by Anze Kopitar — and sit 29th in the NHL in goals per game. Only Buffalo scores less. Getting Gagner would be a boon as he can play wing (right wing, specifically) and could inject some offense, much like Jeff Cater did upon being acquired from Columbus at the ’12 trade deadline.
The Oilers and Kings do have a history of deadline dealing. L.A. acquired Dustin Penner from Edmonton at the ’11 deadline.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)