Feb 3, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
“The one move that has been talked about to some degree and looked close at one point — although I don’t know what happened — is Sam Gagner, and I think L.A. has some interest in him.” Friedman told Calgary’s FAN 960 Radio. “I think there are a couple of moving parts there, including are the Oilers willing to take a key part of the salary to make that work from a cap point of view?
“But I do think the Kings have some legitimate interest in Gagner and I think those two teams have talked very seriously.”
Gagner, 24, is in the first of a three-year, $14 million deal with a $4.8M annual cap hit. He missed extensive time at the start of the season with a broken jaw and has just 23 points through 44 games, but did finish second on the Oilers in scoring during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, scoring 38 points in 48 games.
As for the Kings, they’ve scored just three goals in their last six games — all of them by Anze Kopitar — and sit 29th in the NHL in goals per game. Only Buffalo scores less. Getting Gagner would be a boon as he can play wing (right wing, specifically) and could inject some offense, much like Jeff Cater did upon being acquired from Columbus at the ’12 trade deadline.
The Oilers and Kings do have a history of deadline dealing. L.A. acquired Dustin Penner from Edmonton at the ’11 deadline.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)