Feb 3, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
“The one move that has been talked about to some degree and looked close at one point — although I don’t know what happened — is Sam Gagner, and I think L.A. has some interest in him.” Friedman told Calgary’s FAN 960 Radio. “I think there are a couple of moving parts there, including are the Oilers willing to take a key part of the salary to make that work from a cap point of view?
“But I do think the Kings have some legitimate interest in Gagner and I think those two teams have talked very seriously.”
Gagner, 24, is in the first of a three-year, $14 million deal with a $4.8M annual cap hit. He missed extensive time at the start of the season with a broken jaw and has just 23 points through 44 games, but did finish second on the Oilers in scoring during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, scoring 38 points in 48 games.
As for the Kings, they’ve scored just three goals in their last six games — all of them by Anze Kopitar — and sit 29th in the NHL in goals per game. Only Buffalo scores less. Getting Gagner would be a boon as he can play wing (right wing, specifically) and could inject some offense, much like Jeff Cater did upon being acquired from Columbus at the ’12 trade deadline.
The Oilers and Kings do have a history of deadline dealing. L.A. acquired Dustin Penner from Edmonton at the ’11 deadline.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)