Feb 3, 2014, 1:17 PM EST
Calgary goalie Karri Ramo hurt his knee on Saturday against Minnesota and will be out until after the Olympic break — in a corresponding move, the Flames called up Joni Ortio from AHL Abbotsford on Monday.
Ramo, 27, has been splitting time as Calgary’s No. 1 with Reto Berra this season but emerged the starter as of late, being the goalie of record in five of six games prior to getting hurt against the Wild. He’s 11-10-4 on the season with a .908 save percentage and a 2.66 GAA.
Ortio, Calgary’s sixth-round pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, has spent the entire season with the Heat and performed well, going 19-5-0 with a .930 save percentage and 2.08 GAA.
The Flames, currently riding a season-high five-game win streak, have three more games until the break — a three-game road trip against the Canadiens, Islanders and Flyers.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)