Feb 3, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
It’s not a bad day to be Joe Pavelski, and come Friday, a small Wisconsin town figures it wouldn’t be a bad day to celebrate Joe Pavelski.
Plover, WI will celebrate “Joe Pavelski Day” on Feb. 7 in honor of the San Jose Sharks forward’s inclusion on the 2014 U.S. Olympic team. Along with originating from the area, Pavelski contributed to local hockey in significant ways, as this press release details:
Pavelski, a native of Plover, Wisconsin, played high school and college hockey in the state of Wisconsin, winning a State Championship with Stevens Point Area High School in 2002 and a NCAA Division 1 National Championship with the University of Wisconsin in 2006. Off the ice, Pavelski is active in giving back to the Portage County community, organizing and running youth hockey camps in the area as well as donating and participating in various community fundraisers.
This release comes out on the same day that Pavelski, 29, was named the NHL’s third star of the month for January, so things are going well for the somewhat underrated scorer.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 5
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 21
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 86
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (86)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)