Feb 3, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
It’s not a bad day to be Joe Pavelski, and come Friday, a small Wisconsin town figures it wouldn’t be a bad day to celebrate Joe Pavelski.
Plover, WI will celebrate “Joe Pavelski Day” on Feb. 7 in honor of the San Jose Sharks forward’s inclusion on the 2014 U.S. Olympic team. Along with originating from the area, Pavelski contributed to local hockey in significant ways, as this press release details:
Pavelski, a native of Plover, Wisconsin, played high school and college hockey in the state of Wisconsin, winning a State Championship with Stevens Point Area High School in 2002 and a NCAA Division 1 National Championship with the University of Wisconsin in 2006. Off the ice, Pavelski is active in giving back to the Portage County community, organizing and running youth hockey camps in the area as well as donating and participating in various community fundraisers.
This release comes out on the same day that Pavelski, 29, was named the NHL’s third star of the month for January, so things are going well for the somewhat underrated scorer.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 20
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 57
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)