Feb 3, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
It’s not a bad day to be Joe Pavelski, and come Friday, a small Wisconsin town figures it wouldn’t be a bad day to celebrate Joe Pavelski.
Plover, WI will celebrate “Joe Pavelski Day” on Feb. 7 in honor of the San Jose Sharks forward’s inclusion on the 2014 U.S. Olympic team. Along with originating from the area, Pavelski contributed to local hockey in significant ways, as this press release details:
Pavelski, a native of Plover, Wisconsin, played high school and college hockey in the state of Wisconsin, winning a State Championship with Stevens Point Area High School in 2002 and a NCAA Division 1 National Championship with the University of Wisconsin in 2006. Off the ice, Pavelski is active in giving back to the Portage County community, organizing and running youth hockey camps in the area as well as donating and participating in various community fundraisers.
This release comes out on the same day that Pavelski, 29, was named the NHL’s third star of the month for January, so things are going well for the somewhat underrated scorer.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)