Feb 3, 2014, 2:06 PM EST
With his client’s name swirling in trade rumors, Steve Bartlett is ready to resume contract talks.
Bartlett, who represents Rangers captain Ryan Callahan, told ESPN New York he’s going to ”circle back” with the Blueshirts this week about a new contract. This comes after talks between the two sides had fallen largely silent, as Bartlettt told ESPN there hadn’t been much in the way of substantive negotiations over the past few days.
It’s been a wild week on Broadway for the Rangers and Captain Cally.
The New York Post reported Callahan wanted a seven-year, $42 million deal, which GM Glen Sather countered with a five-year, $30 million offer. The disparity in money and term kicked off speculation about the possibility of Callahan being dealt, with TSN reporting the Rangers had inquired about St. Louis power forward Chris Stewart.
On Friday, a report surfaced claiming Bartlett had permission to speak to other teams about the possibility of a trade — and, most likely, a subsequent signing, as Callahan is an unrestricted free agent at season’s end.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 3
- Thomas forced into Stars debut after Wild’s Haula bloodies Lehtonen 6
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)