Feb 3, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
With his client’s name swirling in trade rumors, Steve Bartlett is ready to resume contract talks.
Bartlett, who represents Rangers captain Ryan Callahan, told ESPN New York he’s going to “circle back” with the Blueshirts this week about a new contract. This comes after talks between the two sides had fallen largely silent, as Bartlettt told ESPN there hadn’t been much in the way of substantive negotiations over the past few days.
It’s been a wild week on Broadway for the Rangers and Captain Cally.
The New York Post reported Callahan wanted a seven-year, $42 million deal, which GM Glen Sather countered with a five-year, $30 million offer. The disparity in money and term kicked off speculation about the possibility of Callahan being dealt, with TSN reporting the Rangers had inquired about St. Louis power forward Chris Stewart.
On Friday, a report surfaced claiming Bartlett had permission to speak to other teams about the possibility of a trade — and, most likely, a subsequent signing, as Callahan is an unrestricted free agent at season’s end.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)