Feb 3, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
With his client’s name swirling in trade rumors, Steve Bartlett is ready to resume contract talks.
Bartlett, who represents Rangers captain Ryan Callahan, told ESPN New York he’s going to “circle back” with the Blueshirts this week about a new contract. This comes after talks between the two sides had fallen largely silent, as Bartlettt told ESPN there hadn’t been much in the way of substantive negotiations over the past few days.
It’s been a wild week on Broadway for the Rangers and Captain Cally.
The New York Post reported Callahan wanted a seven-year, $42 million deal, which GM Glen Sather countered with a five-year, $30 million offer. The disparity in money and term kicked off speculation about the possibility of Callahan being dealt, with TSN reporting the Rangers had inquired about St. Louis power forward Chris Stewart.
On Friday, a report surfaced claiming Bartlett had permission to speak to other teams about the possibility of a trade — and, most likely, a subsequent signing, as Callahan is an unrestricted free agent at season’s end.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)