Feb 3, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
With his client’s name swirling in trade rumors, Steve Bartlett is ready to resume contract talks.
Bartlett, who represents Rangers captain Ryan Callahan, told ESPN New York he’s going to “circle back” with the Blueshirts this week about a new contract. This comes after talks between the two sides had fallen largely silent, as Bartlettt told ESPN there hadn’t been much in the way of substantive negotiations over the past few days.
It’s been a wild week on Broadway for the Rangers and Captain Cally.
The New York Post reported Callahan wanted a seven-year, $42 million deal, which GM Glen Sather countered with a five-year, $30 million offer. The disparity in money and term kicked off speculation about the possibility of Callahan being dealt, with TSN reporting the Rangers had inquired about St. Louis power forward Chris Stewart.
On Friday, a report surfaced claiming Bartlett had permission to speak to other teams about the possibility of a trade — and, most likely, a subsequent signing, as Callahan is an unrestricted free agent at season’s end.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)