Feb 3, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks don’t have a lot of holes, but their inability to kill penalties has been a major one. They rank in the bottom five of the league in that regard, which is a startling decline from the shortened campaign when they were third with an 87.2% success rate.
They might have turned a corner though as they’ve shut the door the last 23 times they had to kill off a power play. Although if you ask Chicago coach Joel Quenneville, this turnaround has been a long time in the making.
“I thought it was trending (the right way) since we got off to that terrible start for a number of games,” Quenneville told CSN Chicago. “We had some games where the numbers didn’t reflect that we were doing the right things.”
Part of the reason they struggled out of the gate was because they traded away Michael Frolik, who was a big part of their penalty kill last season. Marcus Kruger added that the penalty-kill units weren’t comfortable and the players didn’t trust each other initially. That’s changed as the campaign’s progressed.
Of course, the Blackhawks recent success in this category has been largely wasted due to their 1-2-3 run. They’ll try to shake off their recent slump when they face the Los Angeles Kings tonight.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)