Feb 3, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
Call it a growing problem or just an unfortunate coincidence, but the New Jersey Devils can’t seem to protect a late lead lately.
Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy aggressively pulled Jean-Sebastien Giguere from the net to get an extra attacker earlier than usual, and that gambit paid off, as P.A. Parenteau tied the game up 1-1 with less than two minutes remaining.
It didn’t take long for Ryan O’Reilly to win it for Colorado 2-1 in OT, either.
With that, the Devils coughed up a one-goal lead within the final two minutes of a third period for the third consecutive game on Monday. They beat the Dallas Stars on Jan. 30 but haven’t been so lucky in the last two games, allowing overtime victories by the Avalanche and Nashville Predators.
That’s two more toss-up points that New Jersey left on the table. Cory Schneider and the Devils have played well during quite a few stretches this season – leading head coach Peter DeBoer to feel optimistic about the future – yet those crucial bounces keep going against them.
Sooner or later, these bad breaks might just bounce the Devils out of the playoff picture altogether.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)