Feb 2, 2014, 12:19 AM EDT
There were some anxious moments in Saturday’s game between the Chicago Blackhawks and San Jose Sharks, as Jonathan Toews had a painful collision with the goal post in the first period.
Toews was charging hard to the net down the right wing in the waning seconds of the opening period when he lost his footing and went sliding hard into the Sharks’ net, knocking it off and stopping play. Toews was in obvious pain, favoring his left arm, as he got back to his feet.
Not only is Toews the Blackhawks’ captain, but he’s also part of Canada’s Olympic hockey team headed for Sochi in a few days. However, it was a relief to two different groups of fans that Toews returned to the game in the second period.
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 3
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 10
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 26
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 44
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)