Feb 2, 2014, 12:19 AM EST
There were some anxious moments in Saturday’s game between the Chicago Blackhawks and San Jose Sharks, as Jonathan Toews had a painful collision with the goal post in the first period.
Toews was charging hard to the net down the right wing in the waning seconds of the opening period when he lost his footing and went sliding hard into the Sharks’ net, knocking it off and stopping play. Toews was in obvious pain, favoring his left arm, as he got back to his feet.
Not only is Toews the Blackhawks’ captain, but he’s also part of Canada’s Olympic hockey team headed for Sochi in a few days. However, it was a relief to two different groups of fans that Toews returned to the game in the second period.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)