Feb 2, 2014, 12:19 AM EDT
There were some anxious moments in Saturday’s game between the Chicago Blackhawks and San Jose Sharks, as Jonathan Toews had a painful collision with the goal post in the first period.
Toews was charging hard to the net down the right wing in the waning seconds of the opening period when he lost his footing and went sliding hard into the Sharks’ net, knocking it off and stopping play. Toews was in obvious pain, favoring his left arm, as he got back to his feet.
Not only is Toews the Blackhawks’ captain, but he’s also part of Canada’s Olympic hockey team headed for Sochi in a few days. However, it was a relief to two different groups of fans that Toews returned to the game in the second period.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)