Feb 2, 2014, 12:19 AM EDT
There were some anxious moments in Saturday’s game between the Chicago Blackhawks and San Jose Sharks, as Jonathan Toews had a painful collision with the goal post in the first period.
Toews was charging hard to the net down the right wing in the waning seconds of the opening period when he lost his footing and went sliding hard into the Sharks’ net, knocking it off and stopping play. Toews was in obvious pain, favoring his left arm, as he got back to his feet.
Not only is Toews the Blackhawks’ captain, but he’s also part of Canada’s Olympic hockey team headed for Sochi in a few days. However, it was a relief to two different groups of fans that Toews returned to the game in the second period.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)