Feb 2, 2014, 10:38 AM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs have won nine of the past 11 games (going 9-1-1 in that stretch) and are one of the hottest teams in the NHL. They’ve been scoring goals in bunches, Phil Kessel is on fire, Nazem Kadri‘s production has picked up, and Jonathan Bernier has been playing outstanding in goal.
But was it GM Dave Nonis who lit a fire under the team? According to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet, that might just be the case.
Johnston reports Nonis threatened major changes would happen (trades, firings, the works) if the team didn’t snap out of the three-game funk they’d fallen into after a 6-1 loss to Carolina on Jan. 9. Neither Nonis nor any players spoke about it on the record about the apparent meeting, but it was intimated that it did happen.
While the Leafs lost the next game against Washington, the Leafs have been on a torrid pace since then and have jumped the Montreal Canadiens in the standings and are threatening the Tampa Bay Lightning for second place in the Atlantic Division.
Winning cures all ills, and that’s certainly the case in Toronto right now, but if it was a stern warning from Nonis that lit the fire, credit is shared all around for the Leafs’ latest run.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)