Lecavalier on playing wing: ‘I’m definitely not used to this’

Feb 2, 2014, 2:10 PM EST

Vincent Lecavalier, Brayden Schenn Getty Images

For the entirety of his 15-year career, Vincent Lecavalier has been a center.

That is until now.

Lecavalier is now playing left wing alongside center Brayden Schenn in Philadelphia and, as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shares, it’s a big adjustment for the career-long pivot.

“I’m definitely not used to this,” Lecavalier said. “I’ve never played that side. It’s where I am at so I’ve got to try and adjust, and I have to adjust. That is part of it. Every game I am getting more comfortable, but it’s not my natural position.”

Lecavalier has had a rough go of things this season in Philly. He has 22 points in 43 games and had a 13-game goal drought that ran from late-November to mid-January.

Schenn’s 14 goals and 17 assists are helping give the Flyers a solid second scoring line. If Lecavalier can adjust well to moving to the wing, the Flyers won’t have to sweat their offense.

1. lowenni - Feb 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Jeez, I completely forgot about Lecavalier. 22 points in 43 games is really not the production I expected of him, even if his career is on the downturn. Guess he’s slowed down. The season he scored 50 goals seems like forever ago.

• 19to77 - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM

It was 2006-07. He then hit the 40-goal and 92-point marks the next season, and hasn’t scored more than 29 in a season since. He’s been declining for a fairly long while now. Not sure what the Flyers were expecting, but he’s at best a 25ish-goal, 60-point man now.

2. chaseutley - Feb 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM

He was a fun name to add to the mix in the offseason, but the Flyers really didn’t need another center.

3. WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Feb 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Hated this signing when they did it and many bashed me on this site for saying he is washed up….oh well, not one to say a I told you so.

• sumkat - Feb 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM

you just did

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Feb 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Didn’t quite get the joke did ya…..

• sumkat - Feb 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM

oh I got it

It was just not even slightly amusing

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Feb 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Amusing enough for you to comment twice I see…..

• phillyphanatic77 - Feb 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM

People need to remember he was basically the Flyers only offensive weapon during the first month of the season (led them in goals). Then he broke his back or seriously slipped a disk, was out an extended period and is finally getting back to his old self. Ask any athlete or doctor and back injuries are the most difficult to diagnose, treat and heal… it just takes time/rest. He’s bouncing back and it’s obvious to any true fan that he’s made great strides since his initial return.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches