Feb 2, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers aren’t sure if Kimmo Timonen will miss a second straight game on Monday. Even the veteran defenseman admitted that it’s unclear whether it’s best for him to play against the San Jose Sharks.
He hurt his left foot blocking a shot on Jan. 28, but from the sound of things, he might be getting some time on the shelf for a combination of factors.
“He needs rest,” Flyers head coach Craig Berube told CSNPhilly.com. “No sense even putting him out for practice.”
It seems like Timonen, 38, could go if he absolutely needed to. Yet at this point of the season (and in his career), there’s also the question of whether it’s wise for him to play at less than 100 percent.
“Sometimes it gets to the point where you have to say, ‘Am I helping the team or hurting the team?’ Especially, when you are almost 39-years-old,” Timonen said. “You’ve got to be in good shape to go in there.”
As much as the Flyers would like to turn things around amid recent struggles, they’re thinking about the bigger picture with their Finnish defenseman. It sounds like that picture will be a little clearer one way or another on Monday.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)