Feb 2, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin made his 39th goal of the season a big one as it was the game-winner in overtime on the power play to give the Washington Capitals a 6-5 win against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Capitals were on the power play after Detroit defenseman Brendan Smith was called for tripping off the face off. With the 4-on-3 advantage in OT, Ovechkin fired a laser of a shot past Jimmy Howard to help the Capitals get within a point of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
While the loss stings for the Red Wings, they’ve drawn even with Philadelphia for the final Wild Card spot in the East with the point earned for getting to overtime.
Michal Neuvirth stopped 25 shots; Howard made 22 saves.
Here is Ovechkin’s game-winner:
A few thoughts to take with you into the comments:
— Ward has now scored in three straight games and has 17 goals on the season. That’s good for second on the Caps behind Ovechkin and his 39. That’s a slight gap.
— Remember when Nyquist didn’t make the Red Wings roster out of camp because they re-signed Dan Cleary and didn’t have salary cap room for him? He’s got 13 goals in 30 games now.
— This wasn’t quite the goalie love-fest their matchup on Friday night was in Detroit, but the goalies did what they had to to hang around in it. That might be really faint praise.
Here are the highlights from what was a wild game:
The comments are open, we’re sure you’ve got thoughts about the penalty in overtime that led to the game-winner.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Stanley Cup with Chicago.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)