Feb 2, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin made his 39th goal of the season a big one as it was the game-winner in overtime on the power play to give the Washington Capitals a 6-5 win against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Capitals were on the power play after Detroit defenseman Brendan Smith was called for tripping off the face off. With the 4-on-3 advantage in OT, Ovechkin fired a laser of a shot past Jimmy Howard to help the Capitals get within a point of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
While the loss stings for the Red Wings, they’ve drawn even with Philadelphia for the final Wild Card spot in the East with the point earned for getting to overtime.
Michal Neuvirth stopped 25 shots; Howard made 22 saves.
Here is Ovechkin’s game-winner:
A few thoughts to take with you into the comments:
– Ward has now scored in three straight games and has 17 goals on the season. That’s good for second on the Caps behind Ovechkin and his 39. That’s a slight gap.
– Remember when Nyquist didn’t make the Red Wings roster out of camp because they re-signed Dan Cleary and didn’t have salary cap room for him? He’s got 13 goals in 30 games now.
– This wasn’t quite the goalie love-fest their matchup on Friday night was in Detroit, but the goalies did what they had to to hang around in it. That might be really faint praise.
Here are the highlights from what was a wild game:
The comments are open, we’re sure you’ve got thoughts about the penalty in overtime that led to the game-winner.
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)