Feb 2, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin made his 39th goal of the season a big one as it was the game-winner in overtime on the power play to give the Washington Capitals a 6-5 win against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Capitals were on the power play after Detroit defenseman Brendan Smith was called for tripping off the face off. With the 4-on-3 advantage in OT, Ovechkin fired a laser of a shot past Jimmy Howard to help the Capitals get within a point of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
While the loss stings for the Red Wings, they’ve drawn even with Philadelphia for the final Wild Card spot in the East with the point earned for getting to overtime.
Michal Neuvirth stopped 25 shots; Howard made 22 saves.
Here is Ovechkin’s game-winner:
A few thoughts to take with you into the comments:
— Ward has now scored in three straight games and has 17 goals on the season. That’s good for second on the Caps behind Ovechkin and his 39. That’s a slight gap.
— Remember when Nyquist didn’t make the Red Wings roster out of camp because they re-signed Dan Cleary and didn’t have salary cap room for him? He’s got 13 goals in 30 games now.
— This wasn’t quite the goalie love-fest their matchup on Friday night was in Detroit, but the goalies did what they had to to hang around in it. That might be really faint praise.
Here are the highlights from what was a wild game:
The comments are open, we’re sure you’ve got thoughts about the penalty in overtime that led to the game-winner.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)