Feb 2, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin made his 39th goal of the season a big one as it was the game-winner in overtime on the power play to give the Washington Capitals a 6-5 win against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Capitals were on the power play after Detroit defenseman Brendan Smith was called for tripping off the face off. With the 4-on-3 advantage in OT, Ovechkin fired a laser of a shot past Jimmy Howard to help the Capitals get within a point of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
While the loss stings for the Red Wings, they’ve drawn even with Philadelphia for the final Wild Card spot in the East with the point earned for getting to overtime.
Michal Neuvirth stopped 25 shots; Howard made 22 saves.
Here is Ovechkin’s game-winner:
A few thoughts to take with you into the comments:
– Ward has now scored in three straight games and has 17 goals on the season. That’s good for second on the Caps behind Ovechkin and his 39. That’s a slight gap.
– Remember when Nyquist didn’t make the Red Wings roster out of camp because they re-signed Dan Cleary and didn’t have salary cap room for him? He’s got 13 goals in 30 games now.
– This wasn’t quite the goalie love-fest their matchup on Friday night was in Detroit, but the goalies did what they had to to hang around in it. That might be really faint praise.
Here are the highlights from what was a wild game:
The comments are open, we’re sure you’ve got thoughts about the penalty in overtime that led to the game-winner.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)