Feb 1, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
It was one of the turning points in Saturday’s game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators, and could result in Nazem Kadri facing supplemental discipline.
Kadri hit Senators’ defenseman Cody Ceci from behind into the end boards, then immediately set up Joffrey Lupul for a goal that ties the game in the second period. The hit, which somehow went undetected by the officials, quickly stirred up discussion on Twitter.
MacLean on Kadri's hit: "Whether it's a 2min or 5min penalty, it was a goal… It's the ref's job 2call pens. Not player 43's job or my job"—
Matthew Scianitti (@TSNScianitti) February 02, 2014
“Hopefully they crack down on that. That’s the stuff we’re trying to get out of the game,” Neil added, via Stephen Whyno of The Canadian Press.
Carlyle says replays show Kadri hit Ceci from the side—
Mark Masters (@markhmasters) February 02, 2014
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)