Feb 1, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Kessel scored twice in the third period, including the winner – and his third of the evening – to break up a tie game with less than six minutes remaining in regulation. He finished the night with four points, assisting on Tyler Bozak‘s goal late in the third period to secure the win for Toronto.
The victory was not without controversy. Nazem Kadri somehow escaped the wrath of on-ice officials after he hit Ottawa defenseman Cody Ceci from behind into the boards, then took the puck and immediately set up Joffrey Lupul for Toronto’s second goal of the game.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11