Feb 1, 2014, 10:14 PM EST
Kessel scored twice in the third period, including the winner – and his third of the evening – to break up a tie game with less than six minutes remaining in regulation. He finished the night with four points, assisting on Tyler Bozak‘s goal late in the third period to secure the win for Toronto.
The victory was not without controversy. Nazem Kadri somehow escaped the wrath of on-ice officials after he hit Ottawa defenseman Cody Ceci from behind into the boards, then took the puck and immediately set up Joffrey Lupul for Toronto’s second goal of the game.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54