Feb 1, 2014, 10:14 PM EST
Kessel scored twice in the third period, including the winner – and his third of the evening – to break up a tie game with less than six minutes remaining in regulation. He finished the night with four points, assisting on Tyler Bozak‘s goal late in the third period to secure the win for Toronto.
The victory was not without controversy. Nazem Kadri somehow escaped the wrath of on-ice officials after he hit Ottawa defenseman Cody Ceci from behind into the boards, then took the puck and immediately set up Joffrey Lupul for Toronto’s second goal of the game.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8