Feb 1, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Kessel scored twice in the third period, including the winner – and his third of the evening – to break up a tie game with less than six minutes remaining in regulation. He finished the night with four points, assisting on Tyler Bozak‘s goal late in the third period to secure the win for Toronto.
The victory was not without controversy. Nazem Kadri somehow escaped the wrath of on-ice officials after he hit Ottawa defenseman Cody Ceci from behind into the boards, then took the puck and immediately set up Joffrey Lupul for Toronto’s second goal of the game.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18