Feb 1, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Kessel scored twice in the third period, including the winner – and his third of the evening – to break up a tie game with less than six minutes remaining in regulation. He finished the night with four points, assisting on Tyler Bozak‘s goal late in the third period to secure the win for Toronto.
The victory was not without controversy. Nazem Kadri somehow escaped the wrath of on-ice officials after he hit Ottawa defenseman Cody Ceci from behind into the boards, then took the puck and immediately set up Joffrey Lupul for Toronto’s second goal of the game.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54