Feb 1, 2014, 11:56 PM EST
Matt Cooke, known more for his sometimes devastating physical play rather than skills with the puck, scored a beautiful short-handed goal against the Calgary Flames on Saturday.
The Minnesota Wild forward sped down the left side and wired a slap shot over the left shoulder of Calgary goalie Reto Berra and into the top corner. That counts as Cooke’s ninth of the season.
Of course, earlier in the game, he was the center of attention for some other activities on the ice. He caught Flames’ veteran forward Mike Cammalleri with an inadvertent high stick to the mouth just seconds after the opening faceoff, then through a crushing but late body check on TJ Brodie.
Chris Butler took issue, going right after Cooke and dropping the gloves. Cooke, however, did not oblige, keeping his gloves on. Both were assessed minor penalties – Cooke was called for interference for his hit on Brodie, and Butler for roughing.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)