Feb 1, 2014, 11:56 PM EST
Matt Cooke, known more for his sometimes devastating physical play rather than skills with the puck, scored a beautiful short-handed goal against the Calgary Flames on Saturday.
The Minnesota Wild forward sped down the left side and wired a slap shot over the left shoulder of Calgary goalie Reto Berra and into the top corner. That counts as Cooke’s ninth of the season.
Of course, earlier in the game, he was the center of attention for some other activities on the ice. He caught Flames’ veteran forward Mike Cammalleri with an inadvertent high stick to the mouth just seconds after the opening faceoff, then through a crushing but late body check on TJ Brodie.
Chris Butler took issue, going right after Cooke and dropping the gloves. Cooke, however, did not oblige, keeping his gloves on. Both were assessed minor penalties – Cooke was called for interference for his hit on Brodie, and Butler for roughing.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 4
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 4
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)