Feb 1, 2014, 11:56 PM EST
Matt Cooke, known more for his sometimes devastating physical play rather than skills with the puck, scored a beautiful short-handed goal against the Calgary Flames on Saturday.
The Minnesota Wild forward sped down the left side and wired a slap shot over the left shoulder of Calgary goalie Reto Berra and into the top corner. That counts as Cooke’s ninth of the season.
Of course, earlier in the game, he was the center of attention for some other activities on the ice. He caught Flames’ veteran forward Mike Cammalleri with an inadvertent high stick to the mouth just seconds after the opening faceoff, then through a crushing but late body check on TJ Brodie.
Chris Butler took issue, going right after Cooke and dropping the gloves. Cooke, however, did not oblige, keeping his gloves on. Both were assessed minor penalties – Cooke was called for interference for his hit on Brodie, and Butler for roughing.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)