Feb 1, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Matt Cooke, known more for his sometimes devastating physical play rather than skills with the puck, scored a beautiful short-handed goal against the Calgary Flames on Saturday.
The Minnesota Wild forward sped down the left side and wired a slap shot over the left shoulder of Calgary goalie Reto Berra and into the top corner. That counts as Cooke’s ninth of the season.
Of course, earlier in the game, he was the center of attention for some other activities on the ice. He caught Flames’ veteran forward Mike Cammalleri with an inadvertent high stick to the mouth just seconds after the opening faceoff, then through a crushing but late body check on TJ Brodie.
Chris Butler took issue, going right after Cooke and dropping the gloves. Cooke, however, did not oblige, keeping his gloves on. Both were assessed minor penalties – Cooke was called for interference for his hit on Brodie, and Butler for roughing.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 30
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 11
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 114
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 92
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (114)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (92)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)