Feb 1, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Adding fuel to the growing trade rumors surrounding him is an ESPN report that Callahan’s agent can now negotiate directly with other teams. That would give them a chance to gather information on the pending unrestricted free agent before making a bid to the Rangers.
Meanwhile, Callahan is reportedly seeking a contract in the range of $42 million over seven years. The Rangers are believed to be bulking at the length of that deal based on the fear that he might not be durable enough to play at his current level through his early-to-mid 30s.
The Rangers might instead move to trade the physical forward quickly to get something done before the Olympic break. That would prevent the situation from being complicated by an injury either during or in the immediate aftermath of the Winter Games.
All that being said, the Rangers might still opt to keep him and these rumors could be killed in the coming days by an announcement that Callahan and New York have agreed to terms. After all, he’s still the captain of a team positioned to compete in the playoffs. It would be a big risk to part ways with him now.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)