Feb 1, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Adding fuel to the growing trade rumors surrounding him is an ESPN report that Callahan’s agent can now negotiate directly with other teams. That would give them a chance to gather information on the pending unrestricted free agent before making a bid to the Rangers.
Meanwhile, Callahan is reportedly seeking a contract in the range of $42 million over seven years. The Rangers are believed to be bulking at the length of that deal based on the fear that he might not be durable enough to play at his current level through his early-to-mid 30s.
The Rangers might instead move to trade the physical forward quickly to get something done before the Olympic break. That would prevent the situation from being complicated by an injury either during or in the immediate aftermath of the Winter Games.
All that being said, the Rangers might still opt to keep him and these rumors could be killed in the coming days by an announcement that Callahan and New York have agreed to terms. After all, he’s still the captain of a team positioned to compete in the playoffs. It would be a big risk to part ways with him now.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)