Feb 1, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Adding fuel to the growing trade rumors surrounding him is an ESPN report that Callahan’s agent can now negotiate directly with other teams. That would give them a chance to gather information on the pending unrestricted free agent before making a bid to the Rangers.
Meanwhile, Callahan is reportedly seeking a contract in the range of $42 million over seven years. The Rangers are believed to be bulking at the length of that deal based on the fear that he might not be durable enough to play at his current level through his early-to-mid 30s.
The Rangers might instead move to trade the physical forward quickly to get something done before the Olympic break. That would prevent the situation from being complicated by an injury either during or in the immediate aftermath of the Winter Games.
All that being said, the Rangers might still opt to keep him and these rumors could be killed in the coming days by an announcement that Callahan and New York have agreed to terms. After all, he’s still the captain of a team positioned to compete in the playoffs. It would be a big risk to part ways with him now.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)