Feb 1, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings have been without Pavel Datsyuk for more a month due to injury, but it appears he’ll play for Russia in the upcoming Sochi Olympics.
Datsyuk last played for Detroit at the 2014 Winter Classic, missing the last 12 games due to a a lower-body injury. He also sat out for seven games through November and December after suffering a concussion on a hit to the head from Ottawa’s Jared Cowen. It’s been an injury-plagued season for the 35-year-old Datsyuk.
So you can understand the trepidation the Red Wings’ organization has when it comes to the idea of Datsyuk competing in the men’s hockey event in his home country.
“Am I worried?” Red Wings’ general manager Ken Holland told the Toronto Sun.
“Of course, I’m worried. But I understand what an opportunity this is for every Russian and every other player. Pavel has a decision to make and I understand that it’s his decision and I respect that its his decision.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)