Feb 1, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The L.A. Kings outshot the Philadelphia Flyers by an almost 3:1 ratio on Saturday, and still lost.
The Kings were credited with 35 shots on Philadelphia’s goalie Steve Mason, but were shutout by a final score of 2-0. And so L.A.’s scoring woes continue. Saturday marked the third time in the last five games the Kings failed to hit the score sheet.
Even with the Vancouver Canucks continuing to struggle, the Kings, with losses in eight of their last nine games, have been unable to pull ahead as the third seed in the Pacific Division. They remain three points up on Vancouver, but eight points back of second-place San Jose.
The Flyers needed only 13 shots to produce two goals against the Kings. Wayne Simmonds opened the scoring in the second period with the 100th goal of his NHL career, and Claude Giroux scored on a power play with under two minutes remaining in the third to give Philadelphia the win.
The loss overshadowed an individual milestone for Kings’ defenseman Robyn Regehr, who was playing in the 1,000th game of his NHL career.
“Having a chance to first of all, reach your goal of making it to the National Hockey League, and then trying to establish yourself in that position. So those are the challenges, and then as you get a little bit older, there’s other ones,” Regehr told L.A. Kings Insider.
“You want to be a part of a good, competitive team. You want to get into the playoffs. You want to then win championships, and it just kind of progresses from there. So there are always things to look towards.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)