Feb 1, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The L.A. Kings outshot the Philadelphia Flyers by an almost 3:1 ratio on Saturday, and still lost.
The Kings were credited with 35 shots on Philadelphia’s goalie Steve Mason, but were shutout by a final score of 2-0. And so L.A.’s scoring woes continue. Saturday marked the third time in the last five games the Kings failed to hit the score sheet.
Even with the Vancouver Canucks continuing to struggle, the Kings, with losses in eight of their last nine games, have been unable to pull ahead as the third seed in the Pacific Division. They remain three points up on Vancouver, but eight points back of second-place San Jose.
The Flyers needed only 13 shots to produce two goals against the Kings. Wayne Simmonds opened the scoring in the second period with the 100th goal of his NHL career, and Claude Giroux scored on a power play with under two minutes remaining in the third to give Philadelphia the win.
The loss overshadowed an individual milestone for Kings’ defenseman Robyn Regehr, who was playing in the 1,000th game of his NHL career.
“Having a chance to first of all, reach your goal of making it to the National Hockey League, and then trying to establish yourself in that position. So those are the challenges, and then as you get a little bit older, there’s other ones,” Regehr told L.A. Kings Insider.
“You want to be a part of a good, competitive team. You want to get into the playoffs. You want to then win championships, and it just kind of progresses from there. So there are always things to look towards.”
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)