Feb 1, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
The L.A. Kings outshot the Philadelphia Flyers by an almost 3:1 ratio on Saturday, and still lost.
The Kings were credited with 35 shots on Philadelphia’s goalie Steve Mason, but were shutout by a final score of 2-0. And so L.A.’s scoring woes continue. Saturday marked the third time in the last five games the Kings failed to hit the score sheet.
Even with the Vancouver Canucks continuing to struggle, the Kings, with losses in eight of their last nine games, have been unable to pull ahead as the third seed in the Pacific Division. They remain three points up on Vancouver, but eight points back of second-place San Jose.
The Flyers needed only 13 shots to produce two goals against the Kings. Wayne Simmonds opened the scoring in the second period with the 100th goal of his NHL career, and Claude Giroux scored on a power play with under two minutes remaining in the third to give Philadelphia the win.
The loss overshadowed an individual milestone for Kings’ defenseman Robyn Regehr, who was playing in the 1,000th game of his NHL career.
“Having a chance to first of all, reach your goal of making it to the National Hockey League, and then trying to establish yourself in that position. So those are the challenges, and then as you get a little bit older, there’s other ones,” Regehr told L.A. Kings Insider.
“You want to be a part of a good, competitive team. You want to get into the playoffs. You want to then win championships, and it just kind of progresses from there. So there are always things to look towards.”
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35