Feb 1, 2014, 9:06 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils caught some people off guard yesterday when they decided to reassign rookie defenseman Eric Gelinas to the minors. He has excelled offensively with six goals and 22 points in 44 contests, but Devils coach Pete DeBoer felt he wasn’t playing a well-rounded game.
“You can’t just be a big shot,” DeBoer told the Star-Ledger. “One, I think he’s capable of being much more than that. And two, if you’re going to have a long career you have to be multi-dimensional and I think the other dimensions of his game are the areas he needs to work at.”
It’s not like the Devils have many offensive threats to begin with, but DeBoer felt Gelinas’ defensive struggles negated any potential gains Gelinas was providing. The 22-year-old blueliner had a minus-five rating.
Gelinas is highly regarded and helped the Devils shake off their rough 1-5-3 start. However, his playing time plummeted in January, to the point where he was only logging 13:44 minutes per contest.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)