Feb 1, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils caught some people off guard yesterday when they decided to reassign rookie defenseman Eric Gelinas to the minors. He has excelled offensively with six goals and 22 points in 44 contests, but Devils coach Pete DeBoer felt he wasn’t playing a well-rounded game.
“You can’t just be a big shot,” DeBoer told the Star-Ledger. “One, I think he’s capable of being much more than that. And two, if you’re going to have a long career you have to be multi-dimensional and I think the other dimensions of his game are the areas he needs to work at.”
It’s not like the Devils have many offensive threats to begin with, but DeBoer felt Gelinas’ defensive struggles negated any potential gains Gelinas was providing. The 22-year-old blueliner had a minus-five rating.
Gelinas is highly regarded and helped the Devils shake off their rough 1-5-3 start. However, his playing time plummeted in January, to the point where he was only logging 13:44 minutes per contest.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 17
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)