Feb 1, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
After some earlier speculation, the Boston Bruins have confirmed that captain Zdeno Chara will miss two games so that he can attend the 2014 Winter Olympics’ opening ceremonies. He will carry the flag for Slovakia.
This will be a great experience for Chara, but it will also put the Bruins in a tough situation. They’ve already been playing without Dennis Seidenberg, so their defense will be a little thin during Chara’s absence.
He’ll be absent for a pair of tough contests too as Boston is set to face the St. Louis Blues on Feb. 6 before playing the division rival Ottawa Senators on Feb. 8.
The Bruins currently hold the Atlantic Division title and they hold a four-point edge on the Tampa Bay Lightning despite having played in one less contest. They’ll try to give themselves a bit more breathing room before the break, even if they’ll have to accomplish that without Chara for part of that stretch.
No prediction from Julien for Adam's retun but "esp w/Zdeno being gone the last couple of games, if he's 100% you want him in the lineup"^CS
— Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) February 1, 2014
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7